[Assignments] Parents and Students Need to know the date an assignment is assigned

When I enter a new assignment into the calendar it is posted on the due date and NOT on the day it is assigned.  Not good.  It would be much better for parents and students using the calendar to know when the assignment was assigned AND the due date. Very important.  Many parents rely on looking at my calendar every day.  If they don't see the assignment they have no idea when it was assigned NOR when it was due.  

Simple fix is to have it show up on both the assigned date and the due date.

Please fix ASAP as I have parents emailing me and soon I am going to have to call our district office and ask them what to do...

Added to Theme

25 Comments
MitchellMcIvor
Community Member

The calendar shows quiz times by their end/due date instead of when the quiz actually occurs. This causes major confusion with students and leads to unnecessary emails and students missing quizzes. For example, my students have a quiz tomorrow that starts at 9am and ends at 9:30am. When they log into Quercus the "Coming Up" calendar in the top right reads:

Tutorial Quiz 1

Sept.24 at 9:35am

Why in the world would quizzes be listed by their due date in the calendar and how has this not been fixed yet? It doesn't make any sense to list when the quizzes end and in an intro class of 1500 students it has caused me and my team immense headaches and lost time to emails and make-up quizzes. For context, I am a professor. 

atanner
Community Explorer

I like this idea.  My students look at the calendar instead of the weekly agenda that I have posted in my course that has when we are actually starting on the assignment.  They look at the day and see that nothing is due and they don't work on the assignment.  I give them multiple days to work on the assignment because they need multiple days to complete it.  I would like to be able to stretch the assignment out as you do with events.

hilaryharn
Community Member

Yes!  This is my complaint about Canvas.  It would be very helpful and important if students and parents could see both dates on the calendar.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme