Parents: toggle view between children

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the calendar I'd like to see a way to toggle the view from one child to another.  Vital for parents, teaching assistants and other observers.  Example:

233563_temp1.png

This is not a new idea and has been requested before.  Thanks to everyone involved in the following pages:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2512-parental-observation-in-canvas-complicated-with-three-chi... 

Parents Access to Canvas 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8391-reorganise-observer-dashboard-to-view-student-courses-mor... 

63 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the link to the discussion.  I hadn't seen this thread yet, and I did pass it on to our mobile team as an FYI.

SethBattis
Community Contributor

And academic advisors!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Had quick chat with Michael about this. Might be a permissions issue with the Observer being able to access the features. He is going to have a think about this and some other things..

thompsli
Community Champion

We could definitely use a better set of features around observing multiple children. We have a use case where some of our students remotely take their "content" classes (Math, English, Science, etc.) through our online school set up in Canvas while physically attending a "Social Skills" classroom or other type of SpEd resource room as a support while they work on the content. The aides working with them in their physical location may need to keep track of 5 or 6 students who are each taking multiple classes with us and have a clear sense of which students are staying on pace in which classes.

Generally, our district does not issue cell phones to employees (particularly not for hourly employees like classified SpEd aides) but rather provides computers in the classrooms. This makes an app-based solution unhelpful. 

petern
Community Contributor

I've had a go at creating a solution to this idea myself.  It's not perfect, but works:

Parents requested this at my school - multiple students 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I love the potential behind this request!

While Canvas Parent‌ has definitely made it easier to be actively involved with a student's, and more specifically, students', progress, there are gaps. As other Community Members have pointed out, not schools utilize Canvas Parent. Because Canvas Parent is still rather new, not all of the web-based features are available on the app...and the app is meant to increase efficiency, not to necessarily be a replacement for the web interface. Right now, while parents at my school like the simplicity of the app and being able to set custom alerts, many rely on the browser to find teacher comments, rubric scores, etc. 

If this "toggle" was available to observers - school staff and families - it would really simplify the web experience. To have the information about a particular student in one space without having to create a separate observer account for each student would be amazing.

Keep the conversation rolling. The collaboration and discussions are so valuable!

stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

@david_summervi1 ‌ have we had this issue arise yet? #callaghancollegewallsendcampus

david_summervi1
Community Explorer

Not that I am aware of, but this is a great idea!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

For those of you who voted here -- this may be of interest!

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9292-include-student-name-in-observer-notifications 

peaceinchaos
Community Member

This is my first day with this, but all of my kids stuff are all jumbled together.  I need to see each one individually!  Where's the toggle option?!?