Parents: toggle view between children

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the calendar I'd like to see a way to toggle the view from one child to another.  Vital for parents, teaching assistants and other observers.  Example:

233563_temp1.png

This is not a new idea and has been requested before.  Thanks to everyone involved in the following pages:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2512-parental-observation-in-canvas-complicated-with-three-chi... 

Parents Access to Canvas 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8391-reorganise-observer-dashboard-to-view-student-courses-mor... 

63 Comments
neerajkumar0
Community Member

There is no way to sort/ order / group by student for the grades screen and dashboard screen. As parent it will help if I do not have to search every subject for each student. Sorting at least should be a basic feature on any lists.

wilsmic
Community Member

I see how you can switch between students in the parent mobile app, but I don't see how that is done in the web interface. I use Canvas mostly through the web.

rmikel
Community Member

Is this still being worked on? There are still multiple requests for this feature.

KelleyM
Community Member

Its been over 4 years that this feature has been requested.  Sooooo important for the current climate of Covid on-line learning.  I have 3 students, of which 2 are taking nearly the same classes, I want to seperate out their courses on the dashboard and on the calander.  Please put this at the top of the queue!! 

rmikel
Community Member

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU!

Tara8
Community Novice

If it is not already possible if would be great to be able to set up multiple calendars so as to filter details for each child without having to click and unclick different courses to ensure nothing is missed.  (Parent with two observer accounts) 

GerritdeJong
Community Member

I'm new to Canvas and immediately ran into this same problem with all courses being mixed for my two kids. Really hoping this will be fixed on the Web UI so that you can select which kid you want to see stuff for. While searching this community, I found that the app does have this functionality, so I downloaded that one now too... But also saw that some people created some java script of their own to make it work in the web UI, so seems like a small thing to make that a standard change in the web UI itself?
Really hope they are going to add it as I like big screens more than my small phone AND I'll be using Canvas for the next couple of years probably.
However, seeing that this issue was brought up 4 years ago already, I'm not holding my breath for a fix to come out...

I did read somewhere too that this issue was being voted on? If that is still the case, where do I vote?

StephensErica
Community Member

How has this not been implemented?!?! It's a simple filter that would make Canvas so much easier to use. I've wasted several hours trying to figure out how to do this because I couldn't believe that it didn't exist.

JessiePerkins
Community Novice

As a parent...it would be really helpful (easier to look at) if you have multiple students that you are observing, that they are split up.  My son and daughters classes are all jumbled together.  I would like to be able to look quickly and see each of their grades, but that is difficult when I have to jump around.

JamyThielen
Community Novice

I have multiple students in Canvas.  When I'm signed in as a parent, I can't sort by student.  Therefore it's very hard for me to just focus on one of my students at a time.  I have to sift through all classes for all students.  Also, old classes are still appearing and I don't want to see them any more.  There's a lot of 'clutter' that needs to go away. I typically just sign in as a student so that it's easier to navigate and focus on one student at a time, so it seems pointless to even have the 'parent' feature.