Parents: toggle view between children

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the calendar I'd like to see a way to toggle the view from one child to another.  Vital for parents, teaching assistants and other observers.  Example:

233563_temp1.png

This is not a new idea and has been requested before.  Thanks to everyone involved in the following pages:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2512-parental-observation-in-canvas-complicated-with-three-chi... 

Parents Access to Canvas 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8391-reorganise-observer-dashboard-to-view-student-courses-mor... 

63 Comments
SReeser
Community Novice

After 4 years of knowing about this issue, it is appalling that there is still no way to sort based on each child for either the calendar or the dashboard.  I have two students with 8 classes each so 16 classes to dig through.  It is even more frustrating that you can move the class icons around on the dashboard to try and take things upon yourself and create some order of the chaos, but yet there is no way to keep your arrangement.  Once you leave that screen it goes back to the default.   It then took me a while to even figure out how to leave a comment here.  With all those barriers, you might not think this is a big issue for parents because unlike teachers who take classes on how to use this program and likely comment regularly, trying to interface with your tool is not a parents full time paid position.  I currently give this program a zero star rating and will be among the growing community in our school district (Parents, teachers and students) who would like to use a different tool.  This one really is not ready for prime time.  

MG_5
Community Member

I have two students with some of the same classes. Is there a way to view the calendar assignments and grades for each of them separately without having to select each class each time? If there is a way to choose which student I would like to see all grades and assignments for please let me know as this would be a total game changer for me!!

MaryBesmonte
Community Member

How is this not solved yet?  Seems like a simple Group by or a drop down list to filter the calendar, dashboard and grades per student?  Please fix this.

JasonVanhook
Community Novice

I am a parent. We have 4 children in our household. I actually use the student canvas app for our four students. Is there a way to sort it on the dashboard by student?

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

This has already been implemented in Canvas for Elementary, I thought it was also coming to Classic Canvas. We have the C4E interface turned on for our K-8 schools, and the observer drop-down is one of the best things about the new interface. We do not have C4E turned on for our high schools and it would be so wonderful to see this implemented in Classic Canvas. Parents, aside take the use case of a special education case manager who has 15 students on their case load, their dashboard is a hot mess and the before we added a sort script to our custom JS the course list on the overall grades page was completely scrambled and student's classes were completed mixed up in the list with one another. It's such a basic thing that someone with the observer role should be able to do in Canvas.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes 2022-05-21 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes 2022-05-21 .

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Canvas Release Notes 2022-05-21 indicates that the release of the Observer dashboard filter has been delayed. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta

After a short delay, this has been included in an upcoming release. For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-07-16) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-07-16)