[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
david_eargle
Community Explorer

I wrote some javascript which awards partial credit for "new quiz" questions. See here for a blog post describing it.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

An hour you say! This is stunning work. 

Are you looking for some extra money for Xmas? Perhaps someone from the Quizzes.next development team can get in touch.

On a serious not perhaps someone at Instructure can share with the community why this feature has not been developed for its Quizzes. I genuinely would like to know why something that can be done, apparently, in one hour is still taking 3 years to even appear on a roadmap.  @stelpstra 

david_eargle
Community Explorer

Well, this is just a fragile javascript hack, and it has to be done for a student at a time. What they would implement would probably be in whatever back-end auto-grader they use, and would need a customizable setting built into a quiz's global settings, or into each individual question's settings. And they'd want to build it into their regrader too. But meanwhile, this javascript works on an ad-hoc basis. Still will be tedious to run the script for each student, but at least it's once per student instead of once per student-question, and at least it's automated. The logic is simple enough.

audra_rudys
Community Novice

I just started using Quizzes.Next and ran into the problem with a matching question -- the students were frantic because they got 0 points out of 10 when they only mixed up 2 terms/descriptions. The first post I see here is from November 2018. Come on, CANVAS, how has this not been fixed yet?? It works correctly in the legacy quizzes. Why would you change it for Quizzes.Next?? Both test givers and test takers expect partial credit for the parts of the question they answer correctly. 

ptart
Community Participant

@Renee_Carney ‌ I'm not sure who to tell but the Quizzes / New Quizzes Comparison chart needs to be updated. It shows that matching questions for new quizzes match classic quizzes. As partial credit is not possible yet for matching questions in New Quizzes, it should be marked with a hashtag like multiple answer questions.

Might also want to update View Quiz Log on that page. New Quizzes has Moderate but it does not log "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page..."

panagiotou
Community Member

I support partial credit all the way. Please make it happen. My primary students are devastated...

angelah_meekey
Community Member

Thanks for sharing this concern!

tod_duncan
Community Novice

Here we are, 18 months, 355 upvotes, 0 downvotes, and no action by Canvas on something this basic. I can't use this tool without partial scoring as a feature.

patrick_culbert
Community Novice

I just ran my first exam with new quizzes. I can't believe that matching and ordering questions aren't scored for partial credit! Now we have to manually grade all of these. This is shockingly bad design.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

You may also want to know that there is a parallel request for Matching here - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12273-partial-credit-in-new-quizzes  currently with 320 votes. You can add your vote (and comment) to here.