[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

203 Comments
rachelmerk
Community Explorer

This needs to get fixed! We need valid data, and all or nothing is not valid!

khahn1
Community Participant

There's 41 comments, but only 16 "votes" on this. Please vote 5 stars on this to have a better shot at getting their attention.

kroy1
Community Explorer

Argh, I am so frustrated now!  Just made a 40 question test in new quizzes in which half are matching only to discover it is all or nothing.  Not cool, Canvas, not cool. Why in the world would you not allow partial credit in matching?  That makes zero sense for all or nothing to be the only option. 

BoBermudez
Community Member

YES!!!!! so frustrating that it does not already have that option.

mmenvielle
Community Member

I cannot believe it has been nearly two years and this hasn't been resolved.  I would love an explanation how the all or nothing awarding of points benefits the learning process for the student.  Shouldn't that be up to the teacher not the LMS?

ewelc05s
Community Explorer

Making this function as it does in Classic Quizzes is critical for the faculty I support. It is ridiculous to have to add fudge points for all matching and sorting questions.

eriba2
Community Member

We need partial credit options on matching questions! 

I didn't discover it was an ALL or NOTHING method on new quizzes until a student today was going over an exam with me and the math didn't seem right. Thank goodness we caught it! We had just switched over to Canvas this summer so I had to go back to my summer class and REGRADE ALL the exams, which resulted in having to change final grades for EIGHT of my students. I know it was silly of me to assume it would have graded them for partial credit like any other software program I've used, but this literally affected people's GPAs. 

ooswat
Community Member

I vote "YES", students should be given credit for ones they got correct (partial credit option).

JoeBattistelli
Community Explorer

Don’t forget to click the stars under the original idea conversation post!

mmichlowski
Community Member

This is driving me insane!  Items that should be easily auto-graded now adds a TON of extra time going back in and REGRADING something that should be done.  Having gone from the free version to paid and being very excited over the features in New Quizzes, I was VERY disappointed to see that partial credit is not even an option in the New Quizzes.  PLEASE FIX THIS, CANVAS!