[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

202 Comments
schristensen25
Community Member

I couldn't agree more.  I use this a lot for new vocabulary as I teach Chinese Immersion, and it takes so much time to have to go in and manually grade each individual test.  They had this feature in the Old Quiz format, wish they kept it for the new one too.

david_simpson1
Community Explorer

There appears to be some consistency in that matching, ordering and categorisation questions do not provide the functionality for partial credit..

Surely someone at Canvas asked an educator when they wrote the script on this, no? It seems absurd to have the functionality in Classic Quizzes, but not in New Quizzes.

jhs_frizzle
Community Member

I agree with this post completely!  It is something that teachers do all the time on paper test/quizzes and it would be great if it could be replicated in the digital world.  

brjoseph
Community Novice

Hello,

Ability to assign partial credit is a must needed feature. Otherwise, I won't be using quizzes:new. 

Sincerely,

Joseph 

kluz
Community Novice

Partial points on things like matching and categorization is a must-have for making New Quizzes as useful and efficient for teachers as possible.

JoMiddleburgh
Community Member

We need partial credit for all new quiz features. This means that categorisation, ordering and matching are all tools we now can't use. 

I have up-voted

brookslo
Community Member

Yes, I like the idea of presenting a question using the categorize feature ust to vary presentation, but I need partial credit. For example: I wanted students to identify the number of sig figs present in a measurement. Instead of creating fill-in-the-blanks, I could just make categories of 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and then list the measurements for them to drag into place. BUT, I don't want that type of situation to be an all or nothing.

gdulaney
Community Explorer

I think this sounds like a good idea. It would be very helpful.

pecchiog
Community Participant

Any idea when full feature parity between classic and new quizzes will occur, and if classic quizzes will be phased out? It would be nice if "New Quizzes" were the default rather than being an LTI. I know how to make them default, but they still are essentially being created outside of the normal navigation. 

stacy_reagan
Community Member

Please allow for this functionality!