[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
joel_ostblom
Community Member

I would love to see this too, for matching, reordering, and multiple answers (partial credit without minus points). It looks like this is the most upvoted question on canvas and it seems trivial to implement, so I am surprised this is not in development or has an official reply from a canvas member describing why not.   

NicLSim
Community Explorer

YES! Please allow for partial grades for these question types! They can be so powerful but also so damaging without partial credit!

melissao
Community Member

YES, please! My students think they made a lower grade than they actually did.

corbetta95
Community Member

Yes please! Add partial credit to "Categorization" and "Matching" problems!

MrsPaulus
Community Member

Yes!!  I don't even use the matching question because it's all or nothing.

bruce_hastie
Community Explorer

Agreed.  I have used both matching and categorization for larger groups and would prefer to give credit for correct answers rather than nothing at all if they miss one item out of ten.

minnie_dayton
Community Novice

This is very tedious!  It would save lots of time to have this function created.

CTENC
Community Novice

This stresses students out when they get a zero when some of their answers are correct. This also stresses teachers out because they have to go in and hand grade ALL the students who didn't get 100%.

mprogers
Community Participant

When working with Canvas, sometimes I feel like I've stumbled into a Dilbert cartoon, and this is a perfect example. 

Since Canvas knows which questions were right and wrong -- it festively colors them red and green -- calculating partial credit is a trivial problem. They have just chosen not to do so. I don't know if this is malfeasance or incompetence, but when I have to go back and manually regrade a gazillion exams it becomes a moot point. 

On the plus side, my upcoming book, "Canvas Considered Harmful", is pretty much writing itself 😀 

Anyways, Canvas, please fire Wally, put Alice in charge, and fix this problem.

jskip
Community Explorer

Either allow partial credit or make a new category in Moderate where the ones which have been modified to allow partial credit  or even a color change once they have been modified so a person is not having to constantly scroll through all the submissions looking for the ones that still need to be graded..... 

So I vote yes to any of these.