[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
sarawells
Community Explorer

Like others, I am here to support this idea. Since this idea has been supported for the past two years, is it possible to now move the idea from discussion to implementation? I've used Blackboard quite a bit, and find the quiz options there more flexible with the option to offer partial credit for the types of questions under discussion here. 

NicLSim
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired any updates on this?

herringd
Community Novice

Partial credit needs to be an option! I love the drag and drop, especially since my students have touch screens, for them to place items in order. It's great! But not allowing students to receive credit for items in the correct "spot" is discouraging. I've manually gone back in to adjust grades. This takes time away from my planning and learning new ways to use canvas. Please add this feature!  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@NicLSim As we have updates to share we will post them to this thread as well as the general roadmap at Roadmap - Canvas Community and the granular roadmap for New Quizzes at New Quizzes Timeline Overview - Canvas Community

browning339l
Community Contributor

This is really needed--partial credit for getting x out of y answers correct

tmorris626
Community Member

This issue is the only reason I'm still using old quizzes instead of new quizzes.  If you are going to force everyone to switch to the new format by next year, you need to give us an ability to make a proper matching section where students can get partial credit as soon as possible so we can start transitioning now.

tmorris626
Community Member

We need a matching option where partial credit can be given for the whole group or a way to score each stem and choice individually.  Where in the world have you ever done a matching section on a quiz and if you miss one- the whole thing is wrong?!?  This is crazy.  

As a teacher, I give some quizzes that are only matching and if I would have to hand grade them then there isn't even a point to use canvas.  

Because you are doing away with the old quizzes format next year- this needs to be resolved ASAP so we can begin to transition.  This is currently an option in the old quizzes so I don't see why this can't be easily modified in the new version.

dperrel
Community Member

Partial credit is very much needed! Please add this option soon.

Estefania
Community Explorer

I cannot agree more with this request! It is very discouraging for students to get 0 points when all they may miss is one matching set. And it renders autograded quizzes useless, if I have to go correcting them all manually! As many others have said already (and I feel like I am repeating myself too),  it is beyond frustrating that a new quiz engine would take away a lot of the very basic, key features that were available already in the old quizzes... Incomprehensible.

DrJdrew
Community Explorer

Absolutely! Why has this been a feature request for over a year when it is already a feature in the old quizzes?