[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
cejones
Community Explorer

Why hasn't partial credit yet happened?

All-or-nothing points makes "Matching" a completely useless question option.  Why even have it if it is scored so stupidly?

josh_langston
Community Explorer

Absolutely.  My teachers won't use the New Quizzes because they cast the entire update out with the all or nothing grading of these categories.  Partial credit has to be a priority.

rachel_kenning
Community Member

This is one of many new quiz requests that are not being attended to.  We need this fixed!

cejones
Community Explorer

The IT people who directly work with the Canvas people at my university tell me that Canvas has stopped development of the New Quizzes, which sounds like they are abandoning them.

It was already stupid that Canvas had two parallel quiz technologies that are not inter-convertible.  And now those of us who went with New Quizzes assuming it was the future or who wanted to use the "Hot Spot" questions are what, screwed?  We're in a dead-end with quizzes than can't be converted to the older quiz format??

Canvas really needs to prioritize funneling the old and new quiz functions into a single quiz engine that meets the needs of instructors.  The more flexibility we have with questions and assigning partial credit, the better job we can do actually getting students to learn the material.  The current situation is just plain daft, and I'd think the Canvas people would be embarrassed enough about the situation to get it cleared up ASAP.

khahn1
Community Participant

@cejones According to the Canvas timeline, this isn't true. They simply pushed the forced use of new quizzes while they work to improve them.  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/New-Quizzes-Users/New-Quizzes-Timeline-Overview/ta-p/243647

cejones
Community Explorer

I hope that you are correct and that what my IT people heard from Canvas people is not!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cejones We hope you'll correct your IT people on this, and direct them to the New Quizzes product manager's recent blog posts: 

Priority Gathering for the New Quizzes Roadmap

Modules Support Adding New Quizzes & Release Timin... 

haa0107
Community Member

In our nursing program, we mimic what their NCLEX exam grades. We need to be able to give partial credit on certain format questions like matching and categorization without having to manually adjust each student's scores.

bakerco
Community Member

Functionality to assign partial credit for these type of questions is mandatory. Most instructors will not use the question types without the suggested functionality. It has been several years since this has been suggested. Where are we on this?

landrews1
Community Member

I have sent a few emails about this to Canvas with really no help. My main question is what is even the point of this idea feature if something that many people prefer never actually gets put in?