[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
adbrot
Community Member

Absolutely necessary feature that should have never gone away. Please resolve :).

Cmcmillan
Community Member

This was posted almost 3 years ago. Still waiting for Canvas to optimize grading for students. Since the switch to zoom classes during the pandemic, myself and many of my peers have wasted countless hours trying to schedule office hours with professors so we can get partial credit for these types of questions

tracy_evert
Community Novice

Please fix this issue! Especially if the old quiz format is going away. Teachers need the new quiz format to be reliable and easy to use. We need it to determine the partial points..... 

ReneeNicholls
Community Member

I couldn't agree more!!!!

MrsMoody1
Community Member

I have chosen to use classic quizzes because I use matching in many of my quizzes and the classic quizzes give partial credit. Please make sure the new quizzes are just as good as the classic quizzes by allowing partial credit on matching! 

JohnStrickland
Community Member

YES! Why is this even a request? Who doesn't give partial credit for matching questions. The more I use new quizzes the less I like it.

ihsan
Community Explorer

Yes please!!! It was supposed to be available on the get-go. Apparently, the old quiz has this for its matching type question. 

bontomasin
Community Explorer

This has been a huge problem. Many of our teachers are refusing to switch to it for this reason. I do not know what they are going to do when old quizzes is gone. 

KBurnette2021
Community Member

I didn't know that "categorization" questions weren't giving partial credit.  Now I have to score 505 exams manually for that question! 

cully
Community Explorer

Matching, Categorization, and Ordering are great types of questions. However, I barely use them because I have to hand grade them. Allow us to give partial credit, this is a no-brainer.