[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
josh_langston
Community Explorer

Just chiming in again...

In this last year of Classic Quizzes, it is super important to teachers to have this functionality in the New Quizzes.  They are already mildly put off by the wholesale change in interface that they are already dubious about its usefulness.  Make this easier to use by aligning it with other standard practices within Canvas (e.g., Where else is there a Return button?) and, at the very least, keeping functionality consistent between versions.  If it doesn't offer an improvement, then why change the format?

isabelmk
Community Member

Please add this to Quizzes. I will not even use this question type until it is added. The time spent is better used evaluating an open-ended answer to a more complex question. 

susan_baglin
Community Explorer

The inability to award partial credit keeps me from using some of the standout features of New Quizzes.  For most people (especially young people), getting a 0 for one tiny mistake is demoralizing.  All or none has its place, but as a teacher, it would be nice to have more control over how we grade students.

MrsABrownFFA
Community Novice

Agree! I have always awarded partial credit for matching, sorting/ordering, etc. type questions and was rather disappointed when I realized these were being treated as an "all or none" by the auto-grading feature of New Quizzes. I was really hoping it would pro-rate the score based on the number correctly answered and the points for the question. I would rather spend time evaluating the results of the test to determine if and where reteaching is necessary instead of regrading questions.

akoch
Community Explorer

I support this for all of the reasons already stated.

clainhar
Community Member

Yes, partial-credit for matching in New Quizzes please.

jmattern
Community Participant

I was told by someone working at Instructure that this feature was planned for development three years ago.  The fact that it has yet to be implemented is as confounding as it is frustrating.

RollieLewis
Community Explorer

Yes, please give partial credit for matching questions! It's not fair that a student gets 0 points on a 10-part matching question for mixing up just two answers. Thank you so much.

LeniMaryanika
Community Member

i voted

Sukmawati
Community Novice

I Agree to give partial credit for matching questions.