[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
KathyBrasington
Community Novice

There should be more partial credit options for questions than just the "multiple answer" questions

JessicaStauffer
Community Novice

There should be partial credit options for all of the question types in Canvas. 

Right now all I see that has partial credit options are the "Check all that apply" question types. I need the categorization questions and the matching questions to be able to have partial credit! 

greenj
Community Explorer

We support this as well!  Let's make this happen ASAP!

bontomasin
Community Explorer

This is a feature we really need. We are trying to get teachers to use New quizzes and this, as well as the inability to record, is a real issue for them. 

MATTHEWLAPORTE
Community Member

This is beyond needed. Each time I use this I know I will have to manually score this component.

BenJam1n
Community Participant

This feature is ABSOLUTELY necessary! If there is anything about New Quizzes that will off-put faculty, not being able to allow partial credit will be it. 

bhaus
Community Explorer

It's 2021 and this is still not a capability. Please advise on status?

GL2022
Community Member

There's literally years and years and dozens of threads of instructors and users asking for partial credit to be enabled in quizzes. Why oh why is it taking so long?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@GL2022  The request for partial credit in matching questions is currently in development, and you can follow the idea for updates:  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions. While I can't give you an exact date for its release, I saw a preview a few weeks ago... 🤞

GL2022
Community Member

@Stef_retired : Many thanks! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed too...