[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
mprogers
Community Participant

@GL2022-

Think of Canvas as not so much a finely architected system as a Jenga tower of software, with 10,000 people clamoring at once to remove a piece. 

mswope
Community Contributor

While I'm thrilled to see that the 1-5-22 Release includes a partial credit for Matching questions in New Quizzes, the same MUST be done for Categorization and Ordering questions!!!  Please make this a priority!!

BenJam1n
Community Participant

I agree with @mswope , these types of questions contain quite a bit of content, and students are often, if not almost always, awarded partial credit in class for some correct answers. 

MariaCattell
Community Member

9 pages of people commenting on partial credit over the course of YEARS!! At what point does instructure actually make the changes that educators need to effectively use this tool!! Crazy that it's still here!

cejones
Community Explorer

It is especially crazy that they decided to fix just matching, but not yet categorization or ordering.  Why not do them all?

And why not give partial credit with no penalty for multiple answer questions?

If the Canvas programmers had spent any time in the classroom facing students, they might be quicker dealing with these things.  Or, even better, they would have kept things the way they were in the "classic" quizzes and not created these multi-year problems that have frustrated hundreds or thousands of teachers and thousands and thousands of students!

PauloMerson
Community Participant

+1 for partial credit in those types of questions. 

PauloMerson
Community Participant

+1 for partial credit in categorization and sorting questions.

LaurensBakker
Community Novice

Yes, I would like to use this.

In terms of implementation, it could be exactly the same as the Multiple Answers question.

Michellepick
Community Member

Yes, please add partial credit to ordering and categorization questions.  Thanks.

SarahJCase
Community Member

Definitely need this partial credit. Why do we have to do so much extra work that should be automatic? Please and thank you.