Pass Outcome Results from New Quizzes to Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Standards based graded (a.k.a. Outcomes) is becoming more and more prevalent in education.  We use formative and summative assessments to determine whether outcomes (standards) are met.  Quizzes.next is the PERFECT tool to assess outcomes.  However, Canvas is our grade system and if we are grading based on outcomes, the outcome information from Quizzes.Next MUST be passed back to Canvas.  At this point we have to check outcomes that are aligned with assignments and those that are aligned with Quizzes.Next separately.  That just is counterintuitive when Quizzes.Next will soon be the Quiz tool in Canvas.  Please, please vote this up so it can be done soon!!!  The capability is there!  It just needs to make the priority list.

Here are some pictures describing the request/problem.  We just need the outcomes that are in Quizzes.Next to also show up in the Mastery Gradebook since that is where we are checking the Outcomes.  At the present time, they are not passed back to Canvas and cannot be viewed as being "met" in Canvas.

See below...

Here are the outcomes for the quiz:

290768_image.png

And outcomes in a specific quiz question:

290769_image (1).png

And the outcomes analysis in Quizzes.Next

290770_image (2).png

And the outcomes report for the student outside of Quizzes.Next

290771_image (3).png

And Mastery Gradebook shows the same picture that is above.
63 Comments
siren_vegusdal
Community Participant

Yes please! Lets make sure this becomes a part of  Learning Mastery Gradebook!

hanzi_teo
Community Participant

+1 Yes, please! Outcomes needs to be reflected in the LMG or it defeats the purpose of aligning the outcomes to the questions/quiz in New Quizzes.

ronny_steen
Community Participant

Linking Outcomes of New Quizzes to Learning Mastery Gradebook is completely necessary!

ihsan
Community Explorer

+1, this feature is mandatory if the New Quizizz is to replace the old one.

caldwell
Community Contributor

+1 for this feature. In its current state, the outcomes analysis is fairly useless once you have several hundred students taking a test. I cannot export the analysis, sort the analysis. It is borderline useless.

ClaireBorja
Community Explorer

Yes, very necessary feature if we want to start using Outcome tracking combined with moving to New Quizzes!

EmilyMillsKo
Community Member

+1 Please link the outcomes to Learning Mastery Gradebook and allow for institutional reporting!  
I don't usually use the outcomes for my own information much by my university needs to monitor learning outcomes from each course and this would obviously be the easiest way to do that!

darren_ponman1
Community Participant

Individual quiz question results MUST be able to feed into Mastery Learning outcomes. ie a question is linked to a course outcome > Multichoice response auto feeds the learning mastery for the course or teacher is able to mark an essay type question against Outcome Rubric performance descriptors > Student/teachers get real time update of students mastery level in mastery learning view.

This is only way we can achieve self-marking formative assessment. Would exponentially enhance effectiveness and efficiency of Canvas

New Quizzes falls short in several key areas. Section breaks is a must. As is ability to add 'non question' section header/instructions. Eg at beginning of section 2, add text advising of requirements for new section.

benjamin_peters
Community Explorer

Agree this is a massive oversight in the development of quizzes. Feeding to Mastery Learning for the course or outcomes at the site level is a must!!!

jmullinix
Community Member

I 100% agree.  I naively assumed this would be the case (and already made all of the pretests and aligned the outcomes).  Why wouldn't it be if I can align questions and outcomes?  The Outcomes Analysis report gives all of the info.  I just want it to go a step further to add that info to the learning mastery gradebook.  To not be able to use a quiz to show mastery seems like a major oversight.  Very rarely do i give an assessment or assignment that aligns purely to one outcome.  For a math class, there can be 15 or so outcomes on one test, so rubrics aren't a good work-around.  I appreciate the idea that i can show increasing mastery through assignments, but getting the baseline mastery from a unit pretest of prerequisite skills is really the only way for us to make this practical.