Pass Outcome Results from New Quizzes to Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Standards based graded (a.k.a. Outcomes) is becoming more and more prevalent in education.  We use formative and summative assessments to determine whether outcomes (standards) are met.  Quizzes.next is the PERFECT tool to assess outcomes.  However, Canvas is our grade system and if we are grading based on outcomes, the outcome information from Quizzes.Next MUST be passed back to Canvas.  At this point we have to check outcomes that are aligned with assignments and those that are aligned with Quizzes.Next separately.  That just is counterintuitive when Quizzes.Next will soon be the Quiz tool in Canvas.  Please, please vote this up so it can be done soon!!!  The capability is there!  It just needs to make the priority list.

Here are some pictures describing the request/problem.  We just need the outcomes that are in Quizzes.Next to also show up in the Mastery Gradebook since that is where we are checking the Outcomes.  At the present time, they are not passed back to Canvas and cannot be viewed as being "met" in Canvas.

See below...

Here are the outcomes for the quiz:

290768_image.png

And outcomes in a specific quiz question:

290769_image (1).png

And the outcomes analysis in Quizzes.Next

290770_image (2).png

And the outcomes report for the student outside of Quizzes.Next

290771_image (3).png

And Mastery Gradebook shows the same picture that is above.
63 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
stacie_gomm
Community Novice

When students take a quiz in quizzes.next, their outcome results are not handed back to canvas. So when I go to the mastery gradebook, they are not present.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos.

stacie_gomm
Community Novice

As we move to standards-based grading, this is huge. I put in a helpdesk ticket and this community post is the result.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos.

stacie_gomm
Community Novice

Here is some more info on my request with pictures. Should I update my

post to include all of this info? What was confusing about what I am

asking for? I just want to fix it so that everyone understands the

request. The outcomes go from Canvas to Quizzes.Next, but not the reverse

for the students after they take the quiz. That is all. See below...

Here are the outcomes for the quiz:

And outcomes in a specific quiz question:

And the outcomes analysis in Quizzes.Next

And the outcomes report for the student outside of Quizzes.Next

And Mastery Gradebook shows the same that is above.

Does this make better sense with the screenshots. The outcomes mastered in

Quizzes.Next are not being sent to the Mastery Gradebook or the "other"

canvas part - outside of Quizzes.Next.

Stacie Gomm

Curriculum/Professional Development Teams

Cache County School District

*Life lesson #64: Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same

time.*

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:58 AM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@stacie_gomm ‌, we are not able to view images in the above reply. It looks like you've replied to this thread from an email notification, so any images you included in the reply will not post here. Please navigate directly to this link and, after ensuring you've logged in, upload the images directly. That will help our members evaluate the idea.

And if you haven't yet had an opportunity to do so, please have a look at the description of idea to which we linked earlier, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12091-allow-course-outcomes-to-align-to-item-banks  We are not able to merge votes and comments on ideas that move forward in tandem, so if the existing idea essentially encompasses the Quizzes.Next-outcomes alignment you're hoping to see, please let us know.

Thanks!

stacie_gomm
Community Novice

And for what it is worth -- the description that was linked does not match

what I am hoping to have Canvas do.

Stacie Gomm

time.*

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for confirming that,  @stacie_gomm ‌. We're looking forward to seeing the screenshots. The links in the attachments are broken.

stacie_gomm
Community Novice

I fixed them! They are now posted in the original post.

Stacie Gomm

time.*

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:20 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you,  @stacie_gomm ‌! We appreciate how much time and care you've devoted to developing and presenting this idea. It is open for voting.

vanzandt
Community Champion

I would assume it's the same/similar issue, in that Quizzes.next is not able to pass account-level Outcomes assessments back to Canvas for the Outcomes account-level report.  We agree that the ability to align outcomes per question in Quizzes.next is a great feature, instead of aligned with question banks, but it won't be used if the information doesn't pass back to Canvas for reporting purposes.  Outcomes reports available within Quizzes.next will not be enough.