[Rich Content Editor] Paste Images into Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I want the ability to paste images directly into Canvas from the clipboard. An example: I want to use Windows Snipping tool (or any other screenshot tool) to create an image. I then want to CTL-C to copy it and CTL-V to paste it into a quiz or assignment or content page in Canvas. Another example would be Copy-Pasting from a Word document into Canvas. This site is able to do it! I just did it below! Let's get this implemented in Canvas!

117878_pastedImage_1.png117878_pastedImage_1.png

Added to Theme

112 Comments
blomas
Community Novice

@James - I wrote my reply above before I saw your updates and this post. I think the issue of creating clutter in the Canvas "files" could be solved pretty easily by putting the pasted image files in a logically named folder. For example, if a pasted image is put in a quiz titled "Linear Functions", the image could be placed in a folder structure that reflected where it is like: module/quiz/Linear_Functions/images. Grabbing a particular image could be done from anywhere (including the content page it is on) because all you would need to do is copy/paste. A solution for the stale image problem could be some sort of garbage collection that identifies when an image is not used. Or just allow people to manage the space they are allocated.

Another possible solution to your concerns are caps on the sizes of individual files to ensure a speedy load.

I appreciate the discussion and scrutiny. I do believe, though, that this is a feature that would be very beneficial and that it should be explored by the developers to find an acceptable implementation if one exists.

blomas
Community Novice

@James ​

Thank you! I am new to this community, and appreciate the discussion, I edited my post above to remove the reference to downvoting.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@James ​ and  @blomas ​, your thoughtful evaluation of how the feature might be implemented so as to preserve students' experience while enhancing content creators' ability to share images makes me very glad that I downvoted this feature idea, because as James notes, the effects of downvoting--in this case, detailed comments from people who know far more than I do about how it might be accomplished behind the scenes--can instrumentally influence implementation. Although I'll leave my downvote intact for now (it's just one against the wind, after all), I will continue to follow this conversation with great interest.

cwendt
Community Champion

Well, with that clarification, maybe it's not as good as it initially looked.

bogardde
Community Participant

I tend to agree with the sentiment that we should not overly micromanage this feature request. The bottom line is that this ability to paste images would be a very useful feature for teachers and designers. If it shows itself to be a popular idea, I am confident that the Instructure developers will work hard to hassle out a way to do this without causing more problems than it solves. And if it can't be done well...I'm guessing they won't do it. But please let's give an idea a chance to be considered.

ejp10
Community Novice

I agree that if this were implemented that it should include a prompt to insert an ALT tag. This is what Dreamweaver does.

wsblevins
Community Novice

That would make my Canvas life so much easier.

Heidi_Ross
Community Novice

Access to high speed internet is an issue for many students in 1 instance I admin. Additionally, Canvas storage isn't unlimited for my teachers either. Pics and Movies take A LOT of space!

So, a solution I came up with is this.

1. Download or screenshot the pic you want. (Movie too)

2. If screen shot Crop & add web address

3. Save in Google drive (not sitting in Canvas taking up space)

4. Get embed code from Google pic/ movie

5. Use the iframe and HTML Editor in the Rich Content Editor to make it visible. You do not want to just give a Google Drive link because it takes too much time to download and doesn't like older devices either.

Due to a lot of factors, connectivity isn't stable for a majority of my users and if something takes longer to download the loading circle of death appears. Or the poor Panda on the unicycle gets too tired and times out. Having a place to store pics/ movies with well identified names to modules/lessons and embedded means it just opens in the browser.

In turn, those teachers using it in class don't lose precious instructional time, and students can view it on any device.

zook
Community Novice

The inability to take a screenshot and paste it into canvas is one of my biggest critiques for Canvas. Please add ASAP.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I like this idea a lot. We have some other enhancements that we want to do to the Rich Content Editor first, but I agree it would be great if we could support a copy/paste or drag and drop workflow for images. Will probably need to archive this idea for now, but please keep your ideas, use cases, and votes coming around this feature request.

Also, I really appreciate the knowledgeable folks who have commented around performance and the technical implications of a feature like this. That kind of detailed insight and consideration is always welcome!