[Rich Content Editor] Paste Images into Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I want the ability to paste images directly into Canvas from the clipboard. An example: I want to use Windows Snipping tool (or any other screenshot tool) to create an image. I then want to CTL-C to copy it and CTL-V to paste it into a quiz or assignment or content page in Canvas. Another example would be Copy-Pasting from a Word document into Canvas. This site is able to do it! I just did it below! Let's get this implemented in Canvas!

117878_pastedImage_1.png117878_pastedImage_1.png

Added to Theme

112 Comments
csarami
Community Member

Again another bad design by Canvas developers. When something is not working the developer, Canvas should not allow the user to do it in the first place. Canvas should NOT allow users to copy paste images into the Rich Content Editor until this feature is working properly. But it does and we all see the image in the Rich content editor.

angelah_meekey
Community Member

The current process of going to files and uploading an original image to be used in a quiz or page and then going back into edit mode is too many steps.  Being able to upload with the rich content editor from my computer or simply copy the image and then paste the image is the standard on many other platforms, and Canvas has made this confusing for its users.  

bill_borez
Community Novice

Also drag and drop from the file menu.

I recently uploaded a lot of images into the file section in nested folders. I can access those nested folders in the page file menu and open them, but I can not drag and drop those images directly into the editor.

I know there is an image section that can do this but it shows all images and not the images within the nested folders I've created. To find an image in that section involves wading through all of the images we have in our whole file system for the course ( and there's a lot of them )

The only other option was to manually add images with the embed images tab which takes forever.

It took me 3 hours yesterday to add images this way for one page in Canvas compared to 20 mins of dragging and dropping them into Keynote for the actual lecture.

e_vanvenrooij
Community Member

Very useful! Also for 'regular' files, like pdf, docx, pptx (college sheets) etc.

cholling
Community Champion

I disagree that copying and pasting an image would be a good thing, unless several other things occurred. Pasting wouldn't allow alt info to be added - unless when the page is saved or after the image is pasted that a prompt requests that information. Pasting also means that image is not available for other uses - again, unless a prompt occurs requesting it to be saved. I'm also guessing that a pasted element would only be viable in the course where it was pasted, meaning that it wouldn't be available if that page/quiz/whatever is imported into a different course or when the course is imported into a new term.

dholton
Community Participant

Right now, instructors can copy and paste text + images into a Canvas editor and it looks like it is working fine.

But later they'll hear from students that they don't see any images (because they images are still hosted in a different course or the instructor's file system that is inaccessible to the student).

The editor Canvas uses, TinyMCE, has support for pasting images as well as inline image editing which would solve additional issues:

TinyMCE | Handle Async Image Uploads 

TinyMCE | Image Tools Example 

If support for this cannot be added in the near future, perhaps a warning could be displayed or else a version of the link validator could be run alerting folks about broken images & links before they save a page.

TinyMCE | Validate Links As-You-Type 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ehssan_sakhaee
Community Novice

Very much looking forward to this feature!

swb_in_ut
Community Novice

Right now!!

...  this is 2018!  Saving images as a hard file, uploading to our canvas filed, inserting the file to display the image?? This is like putting a stamp on an envelope and riding my horse to the post office to mail it.

This has been a thorn in my side since day one for me. I don't have time to go through this multi-step process any more than I have time to write posts to the Canvas users idea board, but here I am.  What I teach is highly visual. I record video demos and they are VERY easy to embed (no need to upload and go through a bunch of disconnected steps). 

Please give us the ability to paste images directly from the clipboard before I lose my marbles. I spend WAY too much time on Canvas as it is. Smiley Happy

swb_in_ut
Community Novice

2015-2016??  Please say direct pasting from clipboard is moments away from being executed.  This is SO long overdue.  Very outdated process we have to go through all day long trying to insert images.