People to Grades crosswalk

0 Likes
(1)

As a professor who uses individual counseling heavily in classes, it would certainly be useful to be able to bring up all of an individual student's quizzes, assignments, and discussions from their entry by a link on <People> screen so that I can walk with them through their work without exposing the gradebook or going through the current route of opening SpeedGrader from sequential assignment pages.  The latter is effective only in one direction--grading.  Bringing up all submissions belonging to a student would really help in advising and minimize potential privacy concerns about seeing grades other than the individual student's.  I keep the <People> link open on my desktop so walk-ins don't see my gradebook. 

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@rsaunders 

Thanks for sharing this idea. When an instructor clicks on the student's name from the People tab, it launches a modal at the right which offers the option to click on Grades for that student; those actions launch the assignment grades for that student's submission alone so it is not necessary for the instructor to open their gradebook or launch each assignment individually.

Could you elaborate on what additional enhancement is needed?

rsaunders
Community Explorer
Author

You bet.  Having the grades accessible through the modal window is fine if one is only concerned about ticking through end results.  I am much more interested in helping students understand the process--how the student arrived at the answers that result in the grades, and how they can improve their work.  When students come in for individual conferences or advising, I bring up their assignments and we walk through their own work and the rubrics.  Not the grades.

To my mind the <Grades> button in the modal should be <Submissions and grades>.  Then, when individual grades pages open, right beside the little plus-checkbox icon (sorry, the only way I can describe it) should be a second icon/link directly to the student's submission of that quiz-assignment-whatever in SpeedGrader (and then a link from individual SpeedGrader pages back to the individual-student grades screen).  Basically, I'd like links/icons to get from each entry on the individual student grades screen into SpeedGrader, and back. That way only one student's work would come up in a series of links from <People> to an individual's submissions.

More than anything in my use of Canvas for student mentoring, the current circuitous path into individual assignments has to pass through either the gradebook or at least one other student's work in SpeedGrader.  When I have students sitting with me at my computer, that path opens screens that create a confidentiality issue.

Does that make sense?
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

lanning
Community Novice

I like this idea. It would simplify and speed up the process of access one student's work and my comments on it.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.