[Rubrics] Percentage-based Rubrics

I'd like to see the rubrics within Canvas support percentages rather than fixed points. Like many instructors, I'm constantly tinkering my point distribution to ensure both a challenging environment and equity in the classroom. Having the ability to change the final point value in a single area and then have the rubric be applied based on percentages rather than points would make this MUCH easier.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

31 Comments
jadachi
Community Explorer

It's been 12 months since September 2015. Please reopen and consider implementing this feature. Some assignments are great with points but some are just better with percentages and some better with letter grades. I realize that we can input a percentage or a letter grade but it would be also super helpful to be able to plug into the rubric and have the students be able to see the reasoning for their percentage or letter grade.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
matthewdix
Community Novice

This would save me hours of work. Right now I have to adjust my rubrics for new point values continuously.

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

So many people want this feature for rubrics. 

mvglaw
Community Member

Absolutely!  Percentage based rubrics will save hours of time to reuse for similar assignments and in grading.  

kpaynter
Community Member

Yaaaasss!! Please do this! That way you can reuse rubrics across multiple assignments that have different points values!! Please!

jryals1
Community Member

Yeah, the option for percentages would be much better. E.g., I'm making a 15 point writing assignment right now with three criteria and four rating categories. On the point system there aren't enough whole points to properly divide things, whereas if I could just divide things up by percentage such that the system could automatically calculate and convert that into points that would be a huge help. The final calculation would, of course, often be fractional (e.g., 13.66/15) but I would simply round that to the nearest whole number. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Just made sure that I voted up for this great idea.

Please refer to the idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12350-simplify-rubrics-look-and-operation , that suggests a non-scored Rating Header that includes rating levels and descriptions.

etulrich
Community Member

This is a great idea! We need it! Thank you.