[Permissions] Allow Teachers to Delete Past Courses

0 Likes

It would be nice to have a permission that allows teachers to delete courses but only for items that are in their past courses. We can do this at an admin level but it is hard to know which courses teachers want to keep as they may not teach the same schedule every year. We don't want them accidently removing their current classes.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Hmmm...  I certainly would not enable this. Here is why: 

• student grade appeals
  • academic assessment reporting
  • auditing and accreditation
  • potential to errantly delete content
  • the current system is working perfectly fine

Once courses are concluded they become read only and fall off the dashboard. So in a sense they should be out of sight and out of mind.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-conclude-a-course-at-the-end-of-a-term-... 

LeoP1
Community Explorer

I agree with @Jeff_F here. Allowing for those with the "teacher" role to delete whole courses could result in the unplanned loss of important data.

Potentially a better solution would be for the inclusion of a feature that allows for the mass unenrolment from courses (other that via SIS). The current process of unenrolling individually from courses is quite time consuming, especially as in my experience people don't do it regularly and then try to unenroll from many all at once.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.