[Course Settings] Restrict users add themselves into a crosslisted course

Statement: Some lecturers use crosslisting for A and B classes.  The problem is that the crosslisting function becomes broken when lecturers add themselves into a crosslisted course. As a result students and the section will be brought back to the original course where there are no learning materials and submissions lost. This is a major hit as we are unable to bring students submission back after a long time. Canvas can only retrieve submissions which are lost within one month. 

Suggestion: May I suggest Canvas to develop a function that if a course has been crosslisted then no one is allowed to self enrol to avoid braking the crosslisting function. Equally, when a course has ended no one can add themselves, or Admin will get a notification if someone add themselves into the crosslisted course so we can re-crosslist the courses and fix the problem straight away. Any other suggestions from the community are welcome.

Added to Theme

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

mmarkle
Community Member

Some form of Admin Notification when people are added to a course that could be toggled on and off would be great. 

scoulter2
Community Member

This would be very helpful, the mess that can happen when they add themselves to a cross listed course after ignoring the warning signs can takes a while to fix.  they should not be able to add themselves to the unused course after the cross list has happened.

MrsHGreen
Community Member

I agree - if there is no retention of submissions when cross-listing is broken, then the system should not enable people to be added without Admin intervention.

StevenFraser
Community Member

Removal of self-enrolment and/or an admin notification would be a big help when cross-listing courses.

JaniceShand
Community Member

I agree. Automatically prohibiting teacher roles from adding themselves to courses that have been cross listed would save a lot of frustration. We need people to trust the platform and if there is the potential that students' work could be lost, it makes our job building that trust more difficult. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme