Personalized classes

0 Likes

I have built, and still building, 7 classes, then modifying them after I put them into the prebuilt class Canvas supplies. I have been working anywhere form 20 to 30 hours extra a week, just in Canvas. I am barely keeping up with my students and all my other duties. I am not sure how long I can keep this up. If we could create one class and load the students that need that class ourselves, we would save at least 5 to 7 hours a week.

Tags (3)
4 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

@Garrett-0-Abb 

Sounds like you are a very dedicated teacher - your students are lucky.

There are a couple features available that can help manage multiple courses, however it will be up to the admins at your school whether they are available or not.  

The first is Blueprint Courses Overview - Canvas Community  This feature allows you to have one primary course that updates other courses

Second is Cross-Listing Overview (Instructors) - Canvas Community.  Cross-Listing allows you to manage multiple sections in one course shell

And Instructors can add students if it is permitted by their institution.  Directions are here How do I add users to a course? - Canvas Community 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Allie_Dilts
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @Garrett-0-Abb

I'm SO sorry to hear that you're working overtime like this! I'm not sure how your institution's set up your Canvas courses, but maintaining seven different courses would be difficult for anyone—let alone someone trying to teach during a pandemic. Currently, Canvas offers a bunch of functionality options to help instructors use Canvas more efficiently. Blueprint courses allow you to create one parent course with content that is then synced to subsequent linked courses (or child courses).  Alternatively, you can also cross-list courses which will then share the same content. 

I'd recommend reaching out to your Canvas admin for help to determine which option might work best for your situation. 

Reach out if you have any questions or concerns. Feel free to leave comments in the guides and ask questions in the Q&A space. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

Garrett-0-Abb
Community Member
Author

Blueprints is off limits and so is adding students to our personally made classes. I like the idea of Cross-Listing (that is what I have been trying to do, but it is not very useful when you have a huge mix of students thought-out 9 classes all will different needs. Classes repeat, as they always do, but children's needs change. This is why I feel we need a to differentiate between SPED teachers and general education teachers. SPED teachers need quite a bit more freedom to modify the class to ensure student success, hence the IEP. General education teachers do need to worry, but not at the degree that SPED teachers do. 

What I am trying to do is create one class, lets just say Algebra 1, and put every students I have taking Algebra 1 into that class. Then I could modify, with-in the class, and reuse, copy, control, and arrange more effectively. Having 3 Algebra 1 classes, creating a master class, outside of your 3 Algebra 1 classes, then importing parts of your master class into whom needs modifications, not only is hectic, but confusing. The only thing I have going for me is I love my students and I know after I build my classes, next year is going to be better, but for now, coffee is my best friend.