Photos in New Gradebook

(2)

There's a feature that will make the awesome New Grade Book even more awesomer:

Bring back Student Photos in Grade Book. 

I am the Canvas Administrator at my college. I have been diligently trying to "drum up business" among my Web Enhanced instructors to a) utilize Canvas and, b) use the New Grade Book. Much to our dismay, one of the features my face-to-face instructors really liked is gone; that being having the students photos in the grade book like it was in he Old Grade Book. This facilitates the instructor getting to know the students and when grading, they can grade by face.

VOTE NOW!

15 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@pburwick ‌, we're not able to move this idea forward for voting as it is currently written, because it combines two separate requests for enhancements to the New Gradebook. One of those ideas is already open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5802-message-students-who-feature-should-filter-by-section-whe... 

We've placed this idea into Moderating status to give you the opportunity to edit the idea so that it contains a single request for the student photos. Please refer to How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?‌ for guidance on how to write separately focused ideas.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the edit,  @pburwick ‌! The idea is now open for voting.

ericwerth
Community Explorer

I agree  @pburwick .  I would like to see this feature as well.  Perhaps it could be something you could toggle on/off as desired.  Having the photos help learn student names and also helps when students go by names in class not the same as what is in the gradebook!

rmurchshafer
Community Champion

I also would like to see this feature put back in the gradebook. I do like ericwerth‌'s idea of having it be a toggle, kind of like how you can toggle on secondary info if desired.

314222_pastedImage_1.png

mjrouse
Community Novice

Very frustrating that a much-used feature was deleted in the new version.  With 100 students in each class, having the students picture associated with their name in the grade book facilitated getting to know each student. We used this feature.

ewilkes
Community Explorer

Wow, my husband and I were surprised when the photos were removed from the gradebook. If people want to grade with anonymity, they can hide student names in SpeedGrader.

Some of us like to see the faces of our students and get to know them. It's especially true of students in online courses who find you on campus or in the mall! 

Puts us down for two more votes in favor of photos in the gradebook.

Thanks!

jvacca
Community Member

I agree that students' photos should be in the gradebook. I like to know who my students are and how they are progressing in the course.  

tracy_jennings
Community Novice

Please bring back the student photos.

soxford
Community Contributor

I don't see why student photos were removed from the gradebook.  They should be there as a option.

aolsonpacheco
Community Participant

Yes this is an important feature for #HumanizingOL‌!

frigmm
Community Novice

Yes, please bring the photos back to gradebook. It is very helpful for learning names in large classes. I don't understand why this feature was removed, especially when you can choose to hide names in speed grader. 

jhackathorn
Community Member

It would be amazing if we could either zoom in on student pictures in their profiles, or if their profile pictures could be next to their names in the gradebook.  Especially with masks and online classes, it is nice to be able to see what they look like.  And, those tiny profile pictures are not helpful. 

MelinaMyers
Community Novice

Please give an option to have a column for student ID photos in the gradebook.

aarmstrong1
Community Novice

I'd like to chime in on the request for this feature. With all our students still wearing masks, it's even harder to quickly learn their names, and a photo option in Gradebook would really help. Thank you for considering. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.