Picture submission using camera

Can canvas please provide an easy way for my first graders to submit a photo of their work? All we want is for a camera option to appear and students be able to take a photo right there and submit in the web browser application. Video appears why can’t camera be added? It would make submitting assignments so much easier for my first graders and all elementary students.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-03-20)

14 Comments
J4th_Grade
Community Member

This is exactly my suggestion as well. For elementary age students the multistep directions for submitting is causing me as a teacher to be IT support rather than focusing on looking at what students can do with their brain. Please create this as a submission type so students who do not have phones or tablets, are able to upload media easier. 

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

lear_a
Community Member

Please create the submission type as a Camera option. This will be easier for students and parents in the K-12 environment. 

hillre
Community Member

I was exactly what I came here to suggest. I am teaching 4th grade online. They all have cameras on their devices, but it has been a nightmare how to snap a picture of handwritten work and then finding the correct file to upload. Especially when there are so many different devices being used. I spent more time teaching computer navigation than core content. Please, please, please add this asap!

royel
Community Member

Yes please!!  This is the one thing that could really make Canvas better for the younger student.  It is available on the app, there is video function in Canvas, so why can't we add a camera.  Programs like Seesaw have a camera function and elementary age kids are great at using it themselves.  I am running into the problem of parents taking pictures with phones but can't upload because the file isn't a jpeg.  So many "IT" type issues would be solved with this function.

Kmorelli
Community Novice

My thoughts exactly! When they click on the Upload Media button, they could put Camera (right next to computer and record). This would make it so much easier for our kids to add pics of their work (especially math). Because teachers have a different computer than kids (we have dell laptops and the kids have chromebooks), it makes it hard for us to teach them how to submit pics.

This would be super helpful for students and teachers.

Thanks for considering the change!

Teacher_Tammy
Community Member

YES!  Add this option, right in studio even, just like recording a video.  Students can go to studio to record a video and select it to put it straight into their assignment. Why not have a camera to just take a photo and do the same. Students could then simply take the picture and select it without having to go through all of the extra steps of taking a photo, saving it to their device or drive, finding it, and then uploading it as a file. This would definitely help my second graders become more independent as they navigate through assignments.  I can't believe this isn't already an option.  Please, please, please!

engelbertc
Community Member

Right now it takes my second graders soooo many clicks to take a photo with their Chromebook and then go into the Canvas lesson, find the photo and upload it.  It takes upwards of 15 clicks to get it all done.  That is way to much for a lower elementary student.  Please make it simpler for elementary art students and all students. 

papanam
Community Member

I want the option for students to take a picture of their work in the assignment when the teacher enables media submissions.Currently, they are able to easily record a video in an assignment in the Module. They won't even need to go to studio if the photo option is in the assignment.

jeffbailey
Community Explorer

I had such high hopes that the ability to submit via webcam would alleviate the many steps we have to follow to have students submit math homework, etc.  I see the feature live today, but with an ipad it uses the front facing camera which makes it almost impossible to use.  We definitely should be able to flip the camera so students can easily take a photo of assignments.