Please Move the "Done" Marker to the Bottom of the Page

Whereas students need to read through an entire page before they can mark it as "Done;" and whereas the "Done" marking is currently posted at the top of that page, but not all pages. I propose that the "Done" marker be moved to the bottom of the pages which need to be marked as "Done." 

Unfortunately, I have missed marking a few of these "Done" buttons because I have failed to scroll back up to the top when I have completed a reading while at the same time there have been instances where I have scrolled back up and there hasn't been a "Done" marker. This has been a minor annoyance. While it is a minor annoyance, it is also a fairly consistent annoyance which in turn makes it more annoying.  In my mind, this could be completely remedied by simply moving the button down to the bottom of the page.  If it *is* that simple, I ask that you please consider this change. Thank you.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please refer to the comment from our product team here.

29 Comments
WBaker99
Community Explorer

The position of the Mark as done button is a universal complaint from ALL my students. I teach programming and use this button as Canvas's version of Kanban (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban)

jbarton
Community Participant

Totally agree with everyone above. I recently started a PL course as a student that uses the mark as done on every page and realized how aggravating (and easy to forget) it is to scroll back to the top of every page to click "mark as done". 

phillip_mills
Community Participant

I'd like to see this button move to the bottom of the screen too.

For accessibility purposes, the button would be better replaced by a check box as when properly implemented these announce to the screen reader that they have been changed. You can see how this can be done using this WAI-ARIA example of a checkbox that announces it has been changed.

The white/green text of the button when marked as done also fails WCAG 2.1 Success Criterion 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum) (Level AA):

The visual presentation of text and images of text has a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1

phillip_mills_0-1613603453454.png

It's only 2.9:1.

hvanotterloo
Community Explorer

I agree. I think for work flow, the Mark as Done button would best serve users at the bottom of the page.

czubad
Community Member

I made a module to alert students to click Mark as Done, but that quickly gets lost when assignments are more than a screen/page long. The other suggestion would be to make Mark as Done as a floating button that follows the screen.

cwfttc
Community Novice

Just starting a course with a mark as done and I am already frustrated with the usability of the button. You wouldn't mark a page done before reading the content. On pages of long content, you have to scroll all the way back to the top to mark as done. If you want it at the top, also give the users the option to also mark it as done at the bottom of the page. Make learning easy, don't make users have to think about how to use the application but let them focus on the content they are learning.

leigh_morgan
Community Member

This would be a great improvement and time saver for students.  

rechtk
Community Novice

Yes, Yes, YES! I think many more of my students would utilize this tool if it were at the bottom, and it would save so much time for them to see it at the bottom instead of having to remember and scroll up, then back down. Their little 8 year old hands/brains can only handle so much! 

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

Hello all, thank you for the conversation around this idea. Given concepts of print and the natural workflow for students, it makes sense that we move the "Mark as Done" button to the bottom of the page. We have done this in the new Assignment Enhancements for Students, which will become the submission flow for all students in the future. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed