[Gradebook] Please allow sorting of students by first name in gradebook, as they are displayed.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Sorting students by first name in the gradebook would be an extremely useful feature. Thanks.

Added to Theme

27 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

jtroup
Community Explorer

Please, yes, I need this, too. Our previous LMS allowed sorting by first names and so a lot of files I have to deal with are sorted by first name only. Right now it's frustrating and a bit time-consuming trying to match up names in the Canvas gradebook with these external lists. Sorting by first name would allow me to just go down each list without jumping around all over the place, and would significantly reduce the potential for input error.

Womackak
Community Member

Sorting by first name is absolutely needed!  Please make this a feature.  It's kind of silly that it isn't an option.

njrotella
Community Member

Sorting alphabetically by first name should be a must.  This cant be that difficult to code and fix.  Lets work to make this better!

HungTrinh
Community Member

Please, Please, Please, Please,Please, Please,Please, Please  SORTING BY First Name

jtroup
Community Explorer

Is there a better place to ask this question, as this thread appears to be going unanswered?

jtroup
Community Explorer

Hi @KristinL@ctitmus 

Posting here because the other thread doesn't seem to want to let me upload this reply.

I've already looked at both of these links. They do not currently address this concern.

This one shows how to Display First Name, Last Name, but does not show how to sort by First Name.
I've actually posted in this one. So far it has only been changed to Open for Conversation, (and several other Surveyors answered asking for the same thing), but the need has not been addressed here either. I get the impression this thread is unfortunately being ignored. Is there a better/more efficient route to use for customer support than posting on this site, where questions appear to go unanswered for months?

dpluister
Community Member
RBurns13
Community Member

Sorting by first name would be extremely helpful!!!

angela_hardy
Community Member

How do we vote this up?  This is a simple feature that would save SO much time!