[Gradebook] Please allow sorting of students by first name in gradebook, as they are displayed.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Sorting students by first name in the gradebook would be an extremely useful feature. Thanks.

Added to Theme

27 Comments
llomax
Community Participant

Please make this an option, I get numerous requests from teachers to sort students in the gradebook by first name. This should be an easy fix. Thanks!

LizetteFoley
Community Explorer

How do I up-vote this?

JACOBFULLINGTON
Community Novice

PLEASE allow the gradebook to be sorted by FIRST name. Can someone reply and explain what is keeping this change from being made? It seems like it would be a simple thing to do.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-03-29)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-03-29) 

RobinNielson
Community Member
Problem statement:

Name display in the gradebook allows last/first and first/last name display, but the alphabetization is by last name no matter the choice of display. (The following are fictional student names.)

Example by last name display: Barton, Chris; Chase, Charles; Farmer, Adilynn; Fenton, Paul; Sentry, Abbigail

Example by first name display: Chris Barton; Charles Chase; Adilynn Farmer; Paul Fenton; Abbigail Sentry
The names remain in alphabetical order by last name, thus negating the display advantage of first name.

Proposed solution:

Add Student Name sort options to include: Type Name "last name alphabetical sort" "first name alphabetical sort". Gradebook Default: last name alphabetical sort.
REASON WHY: Many teachers use first name to track students and enter grades. Teachers address students by first names, and these are the names (rather than surnames) that are most familiar to faculty. The grading system in Encore (used by Davis School District) allows alphabetical sorting by first name thus encouraging student first name usage. An alphabetized first name option in the Canvas gradebook would better match teacher processes in the classroom and the DSD gradebook. While I am being specific to my school district, this is not something singularly specific to this district.

User role(s):

instructor