Please remove the silly arrangement that non-autograded questions are not assigned zero if late

0 Likes

I cannot fathom the reason behind this scenario:

I create an assignment (e.g. quiz or file upload) where some questions need to be hand graded.  I set the grading to zero for any late assignments.  For assignments submitted on time, I go through and grade accordingly, but for late assignments I want that to be a zero in the grade book.  Alas, if a student submits an assignment late the "page" icon appears for that student when I open the grade book.  For me to get a zero, there are several options, all of them needless and time consuming.  Why not simply grade as was asked and put a zero in there?  If the instructor wants to override then they can grade separately.  The grade book already color codes late assignments so I don't need to see the icon to know an assignment was late.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@ajw13 

Are these quizzes created as Classic or New Quizzes? Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year. New Quizzes are built on the assignment type (i.e., not on the same platform as Old Quizzes), and so in theory should automatically generate a 0 grade for late submissions if the late policy is set to award a 0 to all late assignment submissions—so please let us know what your testing with New Quizzes shows.

Thanks!

ajw13
Community Participant

Hi Stefanie,

The old quizzes.  My institution has yet to allow access to the New Quiz engine - why we do not know.  Some of us have been asking for about a year to provide use of the new engine but no luck.

Andy

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ajw13 

Thanks for confirming that, Andy. Unfortunately it means we will have to archive this idea—and I am fairly certain the behavior you've described will not persist with the new quiz tool.

You might ask your admin if they can allow access to the new quiz tool on a limited basis, perhaps enabling it for a specific sub-account designated for testing purposes.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived