polling request

0 Likes
(4)

Instant polls are great conversation starters in class. Instead of using outside tool it would be great to have a quick question thrown into a module as a poll or even on the discussion board. This would be ungraded and students would be allowed to see results but the results would be anonymous. 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

94 Comments
blee
Community Explorer

I agree with the idea that having it embedded as a feature of the LMS is helpful and most of the survey code could be reusable for this.  My recommendation would be for it to be a type of modified announcement and would appear in line with announcements based on posting date.  This would shortcut the notification to students and put it in a place that makes logical sense from how they have described its use here.

mcdowela
Community Novice

What a great suggestion to put it with announcements, so it's right there on the main home page!  Perfect idea.

rjr
Community Novice

I can see the appeal of putting it there but I think that raises a potential difference in the desired functionality that we're talking about. I may have totally misunderstood this so I'm hoping you can clarify.

Are you proposing polls as a tool / new type of announcement? To me this seems quite like an ungraded survey but in a different place.

I'd thought much of the conversation so far had been more along the lines of Polls as permitted code snippet or part of the editor. Something that embedded into the text editor (so db, content, announcements).

adriw
Community Novice

I would like a Canvas poll to use as a quick "warmup" or "misconception exposure" question before students start the lesson video associated with the module. So for a module on biological molecules:

1. Students are polled "which of the following contains more energy?  A. apple. B. Red Bull energy drink  C. hard boiled egg"

2. After voting, students see an anonymous histogram of previous student answers

3. Now that students see not everyone agrees, they are more interested in learning about biological molecules

Using an ungraded quiz would not show students the (anonymized) results of other students, which makes the process less useful for their learning.

The Google Form and embedded spreadsheet shown by  @kmeeusen  is a workaround that I can handle, but many instructors would not bother.

It would also be nice to have the additional data point of when students accessed the poll.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Ooh, I have embedded google forms before and posted the link to the results, but I never thought to embed the results page too. Great idea!

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Google forms has another format for results, too, which displays answers in a graphical form (e.g., pie chart). Even easier for students to read than the spreadsheet, and I imagine it could be embedded, too. (Going to give it a try soon!)

jbrady2
Community Champion

@Beth_Young ​ Thanks for the idea. I am going to try to embed the answers in another form besides the spreadsheet.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Let us know how it works!

jbrady2
Community Champion

@Beth_Young  I like the embedded chart so much more than embedding the spreadsheet to show results.

chart_results.png

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Thanks--I'm glad to see how well it worked! I will do the same soon with some of my forms.

blee
Community Explorer

Great application idea.

ejp10
Community Novice

The problem with using an ungraded quiz/survey is that the Item Analysis report does not tell you how students responded on each choice. It only tells you if students got an answer "right" or "wrong". For a survey or poll, you need to see how many students pick each choice.

jbrady2
Community Champion

@ejp10 ​ Perhaps I misunderstood what you posted, but when I checked the Item Analysis report for the quiz/survey that our department used to garner feedback about our faculty Canvas training, this is what I found, which shows the number of respondents for each choice even though it does show the first response as the "correct" one:

survey_results_capture.png

Also, by clicking on each respondents link, I get the names of those who chose that answer.

survey_respondents.png

ejp10
Community Novice

Thanks for the clarification. I did hear this second hand.

jbrady2
Community Champion

No problem.

However, despite the Canvas quiz/survey tool providing this information, I still agree with many here who want something that does not require students to leave the current content page simply to take a quick survey, either pre or post, and after the tests I have run using Google Forms, borrowing some of the suggestions posted here, I have found that to be an adequate workaround.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

173414_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

lori
Community Novice

I would like to try this but how did you get the embed code to work?  I just get a blank page Smiley Sad

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Lori,

Are you putting the embed code in an iframe?  Are the permissions on your form such that they can display in the course?

lori
Community Novice

Hi!

Yes, on the google form, it provides an embed code:

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I think you need to put the embed code inside an iframe in order for it to work.