polling request

0 Likes
(4)

Instant polls are great conversation starters in class. Instead of using outside tool it would be great to have a quick question thrown into a module as a poll or even on the discussion board. This would be ungraded and students would be allowed to see results but the results would be anonymous. 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

94 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Lori:

Are you pasting the embed code into the HTML Editor of a Canvas page?

• Go to or create a page,
  • Click Edit,
  • Click HTML Editor

I have never had this fail. What browser are you using, because I typically use Firefox, and keep the version current?

Very hard to diagnose remotely.

Sorry if this is not helpful,

Agent K

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Scott, the Google Forms embed code includes the iFrame elements. The problems starts with the responses form. If you also wish to embed responses in a Canvas page, you need to use an iFrame Generator like the free one @Online iFrame Generator - iFrames Generator

KLM

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks Kelley.  I've used this technique myself in the past but it has been long enough that I was hazy on the details.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

That's why we are a team, Scott! I have personally experienced several blunders this week that other members of the team have corrected without rebuke or even a "neener neener"Smiley Wink

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Well said, Kelley!

lori
Community Novice

Hi! Thank you both for responding quickly. So I did paste the code into the html editor and I think I'm including the iframe elements, I've pasted it here, are you able to see it? <iframe src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1TyCNAjX0yL1aRKywK9BVR458oQ5U3VZWYHh67Ad8N9A/viewform?embedded=true" width="760" height="500" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

You are quite welcome, Lori!

I copied your code, went into the RCE in Canvas, switched to html view, pasted the code and hit save and I see:

Dropbox - Screenshot 2016-04-13 09.10.28.png

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Great minds think alike, I just dumped it into my sandbox and see your great purple test form

178975_pastedImage_0.png

lori
Community Novice

Ok so now I feel really dumb, I pasted it in and it worked for some reason.... today I am at a different location (in the office as opposed to working remotely) so I don't know if that made the difference?  At any rate, I am thrilled it is working and I really appreciate the help from both of you. Nice to have a community to work with.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Wooo Hooo!

Happy to hear this Lori!

Agent K

ephraimross1
Community Contributor

I've been embedding interactive polls from Wedgies directly into my lectures. You can embed as an iframe, and just plant it inline between two paragraphs. Students don't have to miss a beat. This isn't the best example in the screenshot, but it'll give you a sense of what it looks like.

Meet Your Instructor Facilitators_ Student Orientation.png

You can find custom/advanced iframe embed options here:

Embedding a Wedgie Poll on your Website · GitHub

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Ephraim:

Thanks for sharing a new resource. I'm gonna go check it out!

Agent K

ephraimross1
Community Contributor

No problem. Note that they've recently rolled out some updates, which I don't actually prefer, but you can still use their legacy embed, just use the following code and replace the title, question number -- bolded below -- and resize as necessary:

<iframe style="max-width: 640px; margin: 0px auto; width: 100%; height: 400px; border: 0px;" title="Your title here" src="https://www.wedgies.com/widgets/embed/question/5493c62e861916020000d766?widgetVersion=v1&amp;social=false&amp;owner=false&amp;branding=false" width="300" height="150"></iframe>

UPDATE: Apparently the code I give above needs a little tweaking for newly created quizzes. The old format allowed the questions to sit alongside the image, for a horizontal layout (as pictured above). If you use an image on a newly created quiz that image will only sit above the response options. So, just note that the dimensions will need to be adjusted from what I provided above, and it will look a little different but still work great Smiley Happy

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Ephraim:

what am I missing. I just created a simple three-response poll and embedded it in my sandbox, but when I test it as multiple users (I have ten test accounts in my sandbox), it simply changes my resonses and still shows only one responder.

KLM

ephraimross1
Community Contributor

It sounds like its recognizing (via IP) that you're the same computer returning and updating your response. It's completely agnostic to your Canvas user profile. Try with different browsers, I suspect that will work.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

That was it Ephraim, it was dropping a cookie to control voting.

Awesomely easy little tool, that I think some of my faculty may really like!

Thanks!

KLM

johnmartin
Community Champion

This is how I embed Google Forms for polling  (http://www.regardingjohn.com/blog/google-forms-as-a-student-response-system/ )— the tricky part is embedding the response summary. How have others handled that?

jbrady2
Community Champion

I have also noted a problem with updating based on responses. What I have found is that it is often simply a delay in updating, but if you have noticed that it is not updating even after a delay, that is something that I have not experienced.

stephanie_johns
Community Novice

Hello Jeffrey and other community members:

How do students see the results of the survey? How do I share the results? Can I share them in real-time?

"Workarounds," even for such for a popular and desired feature, are not feasible for most faculty, who DO NOT use the HTML editor. My workaround right now is the Discussion, which I rename as "Poll" or "Thought of the Day," "Vote Here," and so on. I ask a single question (of varying types). Students must post their answers before seeing the replies of their peers. Then they must do a follow-up activity of some type within the same discussion, for example, summarize or evaluate the responses or start a thread with another respondent. Or they can merely "Like" if that suits my purpose. This use of Discussions is a model that faculty can easily replicate and set up.

"Responsiveness" must work both ways, from computer to device, and device to computer. Having features on one platform but not the other sets expectations, causes confusion, and adds complexity. In addition, Canvas strives to meet accessibility standards (WCAG) with its features, which I trust. Determining the Section 508 compliance of third-party applications can be yet another time-consuming task for course developers.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I have been trying to embed google forms results into a graded discussion assignment for some time with no luck. (The google forms survey questions embed fine.) I tried creating a frame with an online iframes generator for the results URL, and I tried using the same embed code as the survey and just replacing the survey URL with the results URL. Finally I asked tech support at my school and they said that Google actively blocks embedding these survey results. (I'm trying to embed the "summary of responses" results screen with the pie charts, not the spreadsheet of results: Do these sounds convey any meaning? - Google Forms )  Has anyone had any luck embedding the response summary despite the google block, or have you all been embedding just the spreadsheet? 

I'm resigned to just linking to the results summary, but if anyone has found a solution I would love to know about it!