cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll option for voting

Poll option for voting

(1)
It would be great to include a polling option within Canvas (in Discussion board, Announcements, on front page, in Collaborations?) somewhere to enable students to vote or choose something (this could be binary - yes/no type options, or multiple choice options). For instance, I won't see my students again in class until next week and I'd like to use Canvas to have them vote on 1 of 3 choices about how we will focus our class time next week. Canvas would be a great place to house that poll and view results. Thanks.
81 Comments
Community Coach
Community Coach

As a work-around, could you create a short ungraded survey (via Quizzes) that would accomplish the same thing?

Community Coach
Community Coach

One of the things I like to do is use an embedded Google Form for a poll, and then also embed the results spreadsheet. This becomes a live tool, with student responses instantly reflected in the spreadsheet. Handy for flipped or simply web-enhanced courses where you might like to poll the room. Also good for capturing student responses in a fully online course.

I find this better than using an ungraded survey, because it is much easier to display the results to the students when you wish to.

Community Team
Community Team

Hi Megan,

As Chris mentioned, ungraded surveys are designed, in part, to collect this sort of feedback.  Many instructors choose to create ungraded surveys and then link to them on the home page, in an announcement, etc.  Would this meet your needs?

Thanks

Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for your feedback, mpeercy@umd.edu​. It looks like this idea has already been submitted and archived: (with a response from product teams). Usually, re-submission of an archived idea moves forward unless there is a comment from Instructure providing more detail as to why or why not the idea will not be implemented in the near future.

Please follow the other idea to stay up-to-date with future comments related to this idea.

Smiley Happy

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mpeercy@umd.edu​. After further review and some discussion, we feel this idea is significantly different enough to warrant moving forward in the voting process. Sorry for any inconvenience. This idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle (Dec. 2). Smiley Happy

Learner II

I use this method too kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu​!  The quick results and check of the pulse of students so that they too can see the results is useful online.  I like to encourage this method in each module versus as a more formal survey but usually it's a bit more work than faculty like to setup.  I miss out on using Canvas Polls by working strictly on online courses Smiley Sad

- Melanie

Community Coach
Community Coach

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Member

Haven't used it in a while, but www.polleverywhere.com was pretty awesome. Updates quickly and low bandwidth. Wonder if you could just "embed" something google oriented within Canvas to solve the problem?

Community Member

I do NOT want to create a poll with an App that requires my students (or me!) to download apps onto their phones/devices, nor do I want to create a poll through  an app.  I don't like the ungraded survey as a workaround, nor does the discussion "like" feature meet my needs.  I've seen the suggestions for embedding something, but that still requires students to create an account or log into an external site. I try to be careful about how many places my email address is floating around in cyberspace.

Polling is such a common and important feature of most courses when you want student feedback on various topics. It's absolutely bizarre that this isn't a regular part of the standard Canvas options!  I never use many of the other ones, but I would use Polls almost constantly.  PLEASE add this feature!!

Learner II

Exactly mcdowela@seattleu.edu​. If you want to track which students have answered a poll, having them login is needed in any solution right now other than Ungraded Surveys.

As an FYI in case it helps in the interim, if you embed a Google poll or one of the other free polling tools (poll everywhere, etc), if you don't mind anonymous responses, students can complete the poll, the instructor can view the results, and students do not have to create a login!  You just lose the tracking option of who has completed the poll. 

For us at my school, we have Google as a university installation so thankfully we have either option as students are already logged into Google through our authentication when they are logged into Canvas and it doesn't require a separate account creation so there are not any additional privacy concerns. 

- Melanie