[Announcements] Post announcements in multiple courses at once

I would like to see a feature in Canvas that allows you to create an announcement then choose multiple courses  in which you would like to see the announcement posted.  The current process is time consuming and tedious; you create the announcement then open each course and copy and paste it into each separately.

Note from the Community Team: We are aligning this with a very similar idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2703-common-announcement-to-all-my-classes

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

72 Comments
cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We're currently looking into how to accomplish this, but can't promise if and when we'll be able to do this. Thanks for participating in the community, and for always helping us make Canvas better!

gregory_slayton
Community Novice

I'm not a programmer or Canvas affectionado but have heard that those with administrator privileges have the ability to do this.

It seems that this option could/should be portable to faculty.

Thank you for listening,

Greg

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Greg,

One slight correction; Admins can post system-wide announcements that our seen by every user as they login.  They cannot pick and choose which courses will see an system announcement and which will not - its an all or nothing brute force approach appropriate for announcements that affect every user but not handy for disseminating course or program specific info unfortunately.

rfields
Community Member

I agree with this.  It's the same as with assignments.  If I have an announcement (or an assignment) that I want to go out to all my students, regardless of course, it would be great to not have to copy/paste or share to commons and create in the sandbox and move it.  I know when I used Edmodo, any task, calendar entry, assignment, announcement, etc. could be sent to one student, multiple students, one whole class, or multiple classes simply by clicking it in the "to" box under the entry.  Would love to see that feature here on all types of entries (announcements, assignments, quizzes, discussions, etc.).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

aimee_birdsall
Community Novice

This would be so useful! 

I teach five different classes (not sections of the same class- but different classes), and it would be great to announce something to all of them at once- like me changing office hour location, etc. 

mkeller44
Community Explorer

It looks like somehow this was shelved for Q1 2019. What do we need to do to get it up and running again, as it seems like a feature that so many instructors want?

ssullivandc
Community Novice

My college will no longer allow the cross-listing of courses because of FERPA. Having to make four or five separate announcements about my office hours, a college event that is of interest, scholarships available, etc. is an enormous waste of my time. Canvas seems content to burden professors with tedium. This is a simple feature that blackboard has been doing for 10 years. 

carrie_patterso
Community Novice

Has there been an update on this function?

bonnie_le
Community Novice

Not that I’m aware of

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>