Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post announcements in multiple courses at once

Post announcements in multiple courses at once

(41)
I would like to see a feature in Canvas that allows you to create an announcement then choose multiple courses  in which you would like to see the announcement posted.  The current process is time consuming and tedious; you create the announcement then open each course and copy and paste it into each separately.
Note from the Community Team: We are aligning this with a very similar idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2703-common-announcement-to-all-my-classes
63 Comments
laurene_debordf

Seriously.  Please add this as a feature.  Soon. 

I had serious work that needed done today, along the lines of grading and such and wasted 15 minutes posting and then updating the same four announcements to four classes, which is ridiculous.  Really glad I spent 12 years of my life in school and invested a minor to moderate mansion in student loans so that I could spend 40% of my time cutting, pasting and uploading redundant information into the LMS...  

There has to be an easier solution.  It's just a secure, interconnected database, not the space shuttle.  

Appreciate the RSS solution from @kvjansen above.  Could also keep and push out articles more efficiently in this manner, most likely.  Will be looking into this. 

Appreciate everyone's creative angles.  I'll go digging in the GitHub repository for an out of the box solution when I have time, but with permissions/sandboxes as they are, I'm not yet envisioning how that might work as an API, but I bet there's a work-around that's at least less mind-numbing than cutting and pasting multiple times. 

I don't mean to be exceedingly grumpy about these things, but the workload has quadrupled since we've committed to making remote learning as exciting and invested and interactive as in-person classes (as it SHOULD be!). 

Any extra ounce of energy I have needs to go into finding new, better ways to promote engagement with my students and ensuring their progress, not wasting valuable time cutting and pasting. 

Cummings_E

Crosslisting doesn't work if you have classes on A/B schedule with different due dates for assignments. Thus, they have to be different course shells. But announcements may still apply to both A/B day courses!

sahlgren

My institution will not let me merge my sections of the same class due to FERPA.
I would like a way to link my sections so that I can send the same announcement to all sections.

toole_anya

Please, Please add this feature already 😳...

jbarrios

It would be useful to post an announcement to several courses at once. 

kmstewart
Community Member

Please move this up and help us be able to work efficiently!

freeman1
Community Participant

So... it's now 2021 and we still can't do this?  

Hello... is anyone home?

cvalle
Community Member

Please add this functionality! Combining sections is not a viable alternative. Sometimes I have to post the same announcement to my Algebra course and my Calculus course.

robinhood7

I would like to activate this conversation again.  This would be a great feature for teachers.  here is a school that created a locally developed tool to make it work for them: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aqyj#ann

amy_petersen

This would be very helpful!  I often have an announcement about something that would be of interest to multiple classes that it would not be appropriate to cross-list.  

wboswell
Community Participant

I agree this is a feature we need. The direct share option available and where the user information of the person copying gets put into the copied announcement as the user posting. 

irma_manty

Our teachers are asking the possibility to post announcements to multiple courses! It saves time and reduces waist of work

bontomasin

That would be a great feature. Often, school wide announcements need to be made 5-8 times, depending on the teacher's set up. 

MelanieFarrell

I'm wondering what the status is on adding a feature that allows "Multicourse Announcements"? It looks like this thread dates back to 2016.

dkpst5
Community Member

I wanted to add to this conversation that a Canvas has an issue (Canvas L2 reported it's intended behavior, but it's very counter-intuitive and not expected by teachers) that if you use the built in "copy to..." to copy an announcement from one course to another, or import them, that notifications are not sent out. A teacher must manually copy/paste the body of the announcement, or set a delayed posting, after copying the announcement, to ease their work of posting the same announcement to multiple courses.

LindaHemauer

Could there be a way to put the same announcement in multiple courses at the same time?  It would save a lot of copy and paste time on my part into 9 separate courses.

clarkld
Community Member

I've been asked this quite a bit lately. Crosslisting is not feasible in every situation, but there are times when an announcement applies to multiple courses. 

I'm in agreement; this should be a feature by now. 

DustinDomangue

It is 2021. (This thread originally requested this option in 2016.) Why hasn't this been adopted yet? This is desperately needed. It is mind-bogglingly time-consuming to post announcements across numerous courses. This is a feature that Google Classroom has long had for teachers to use.

sfrantz

Indiana University has built a tool that does this locally.

Edit: They've made the tool available via github. https://github.com/indiana-university/lms-canvas-multiclassmessenger

robert_frederic
Community Member

I grit my teeth when I read these long (years) desired, time-saving, necessary administrative features go unheeded by Canvas.

Features like:

-global, simultaneous announcements

-creating recurring assignments

are not luxuries, they are essential tasks.

Endless copy/paste suggestions, workarounds, and custom locally implemented solutions are kluges*.

*[Kluge: workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

I see a lot of requests and discussions from instructors yet I fail to see any responses from Canvas.  Does anyone have insight into how Canvas manages and prioritizes their upgrade requests?  Do Canvas developers even READ these posts?

P.S. Kudos to Indiana University and other institutions that had the wherewithal to implement local solutions.  

Thanks for letting me vent.