[Announcements] Post announcements in multiple courses at once

I would like to see a feature in Canvas that allows you to create an announcement then choose multiple courses  in which you would like to see the announcement posted.  The current process is time consuming and tedious; you create the announcement then open each course and copy and paste it into each separately.

Note from the Community Team: We are aligning this with a very similar idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2703-common-announcement-to-all-my-classes

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

72 Comments
cchambers
Community Novice

This would definitely be helpful for what I do. Great idea.

pdalsky
Community Member

This would be helpful! For example, I teach two sections of English 4 and three sections of English 3, but they all have the same vocabulary assignments/test. It would save time if I could send an announcement about vocabulary to both English 4 and English 3 instead of duplicating the process for each course.

-Paul

rake_9
Community Champion

An interesting / useful nuance would be having this available for both instructors (based on the courses in which they are instructors) and sub-account admins, based on courses to which they have access that way.  It would be really painful if one audience could do this but not the other.

twil3
Community Novice

Anything that can reduce rework is a plus in my book.  That is true for the instructor as well as the student.

Community Member

This idea has been submitted over and over and it is voted for by many faculty and nothing gets changed. Last time it had many votes but they just delete the thread and then people have to request the same thing again.
I don't want to put the courses together, I want to be able to email several courses at a time without cross-listing them.

Has anybody noticed that for voting, if we don't click twice, the vote doesn't get through?

I think the voting of features is really not accomplishing much.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@10012475 ​, although this particular feature idea is specific to announcements, since you mention "email," you might be interested in this popular feature idea that is currently in Product Radar status:

Also, if you're seeing that your vote does not immediately register when you click on the Vote Up button, you're doing the right thing by double-checking that it registers and records your upvote. This is a known bug with the Jive platform that supports the Canvas Community, and Canvas has a ticket open with Jive about this.

gregory_slayton
Community Novice

This topic is close to my requested functionality, in that, I would appreciate the ability to send an email to multiple sections from Inbox.

twil3
Community Novice

My comment was to be able to make multiple announcements in different cources

gouldt
Community Contributor

I think adding this feature would be much appreciated by the instructors at our college. We only use cross listing when the course is at the same time by the same instructor such as ITV or courses with the same content but different course ID. Our courses begin at different times throughout the semester, so it wouldn't be feasible to use it more. Currently, the instructors must copy and paste the announcements. I know of many instructors who would love it!

jbrady2
Community Champion

This is a feature that many of our faculty have also asked about. Two use cases I can think of right of the top of my head would include needing to send an announcement to multiple sections of the same course concerning a course change or letting every class know that classes have been cancelled for the day for a reason that may not affect the entire school or campus and would not be sent out by the Canvas Admin.