Post to SIS, set as default

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. September 2, 2015 - Wed. December 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

My users would like that if they turn the Post to SIS on for their course, it is at allow at the district level, that all assignments be checked by default so that to not post something would require unchecking the box.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09)

Account Settings

Post to SIS Assignment Default

17 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This is not a solution to the issue you are trying to solve, however a recently released beta feature may make the process of posting grades easier for Instructors.

Please take a look at the Canvas Beta Release Notes

Gradebook

Post Grades to SIS Button

For institutions that use the Post Grades to SIS feature, the Post Grades button has been moved to the top of the Gradebook.

You can test this feature in your own beta instance.  Find  out more at How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Post Grades to SIS Button has been deployed to production.  Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

For institutions that use the Post Grades to SIS feature, the Post Grades button has been moved to the top of the Gradebook.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

With many colleges not able to post grades directly to the SIS (ours is one). I cannot support this feature request. Having this as the default would create mass confusion among our faculty, and they would not understand the reasoning for it.

hpalmersheim
Community Novice

In our instance the Post to SIS is only an option if the instructor turns it on for their course.  If they haven't turned it on then they don't even see that option so our staff that does not currently choose to post to SIS, even though our SIS does allow it, does not have that box appear. Does your instance operate differently?

James
Community Champion

@kmeeusen ​,

There's a vague "for institutions that use the Post Grades to SIS feature" in that sentence. That makes it sound like it's a feature that has to be turned on by our CSM or through the Admin > Settings > Features page.

I can't find anything in our Beta site, where this is supposedly already in play, about Post to SIS and when I go into a gradebook, there is no Post to SIS button. I know that I've never configured a Post to SIS on our end because it would take a lot of programming and coordination because of the SIS we use and our SIS doesn't handle individual grades, just end of term grades.

Hopefully that means it won't be an issue for institutions like ours - it just won't be there.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Holly:

Yes, our instructors use a third-party tool called Instructor Briefcase to post their final student grades. There is no integration between Instructor Briefcase and Canvas. We open the two side-by-side and transpose our grades from Canvas to the Briefcase.

Not to say that an integration wouldn't be wonderful.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

James:

I thought about that after I answered. Perhaps if this was a feature, it would only apply to institutions using such an integration. Like you, we do not post individual grades, just final term grades.

rsprik
Community Novice

I'm confused, because for us, it is set by default.

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

No it wouldn't.  Only those with post to SIS capabilities would have that option to have it default to post SIS checked when they are creating an assignment.

If in the initial course settings you don't have sis enabled you shouldn't see it.