Powerschool SIS Sync Dashboard and Controls

(1)

Lots of our platforms allow more control of syncs with our SIS.  We get email notifications if the sync does not go as planned, we can hop into an interface and see details of errors (I know we have this part if there is a sync, but not if there is not), override holds, etc.   

Can Canvas add this?

I feel like this happens a few times a year – some error on our or Canvas' end or a rule on Canvas' end pauses or puts our sync on hold.

I think this is smart in case of errors in what we send, but I want the ability (like many other platforms) to see why it was paused/held and more importantly to override it.

Or at least get a notification if it does not go as expected (email if it is paused, held, or if it error-ed out).

Thanks!

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @dis1 ‌, would you please add clarifying details to the idea title and description to include:

• The SIS your school is using (as this functionality would need to be developed in coordination with that partner)
  • Specifics of the "sync": is this idea about an admin syncing enrollment data with Canvas, a teacher syncing grades from a course, or something else?

Thanks.

dis1
Community Explorer

Thanks, Stephanie.

Our SIS is PowerSchool.
This would be for the sync that handles our provisioning (terms, users, courses, sections, enrollments, etc.).  Dashboard to see errors, email notifications when sis import fails or is paused/held by Canvas.
The grade sync page helps us with grade sync errors, and that is super helpful.  But a notification there as well would be nice.  Email  to teacher if post failed?
Thanks!
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks  @dis1 ‌, for providing the clarification; we've opened it for voting on that basis. 

MrWilliams
Community Explorer

Agreed that errors in the sync are somewhat hidden unless you know how to dive deeper.  A clearer notification would be helpful!

nickanthony
Community Novice

I just opened a case asking for email notifications whenever a Sync from PowerSchool fails. I was told to come here and look for an idea to vote on. I would very much appreciate this feature to be added. I don't spend my days in Canvas, and when there are a few tickets coming in for Sync issues, I assume they are usually user error. But if I had notification when sync is paused or fails, I could address these issues even before users notice. 

Thank you!

Joanne87
Community Member

I often make some mistake, like forgetting to put a category on an assignment after I copy it from another class.  The assignment ends up in "Imported Assignments" and doesn't sync to PowerSchool.  If there was some sort of email notification for when there is any type of error when there is a sync would be really helpful.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.