Since our institution has decided to disable the "Canvas Users can edit their Names" option, I have had the pleasure of creating a workaround for a handful of students who have a preferred name.(This is not a legal Name Change so their account name stays the same for many reasons).
After the student sets up a Preferred Name option with our Admissions department, I take that information and apply it to the display name area in that user's account info in Canvas.
In Canvas the user account name is the legal name: John, but the display name is now the preferred name: Pearl.
- The student when (he/she) logs in and navigates the account will see the preferred name.
- When the student interacts with Discussions or other posts in Canvas and such the preferred name will be seen.
Negative Outcomes: (There are a few workarounds I suggested)
- The legal name is still associated in the Peoples Tab to students and teachers - (Hide Tab)
- The legal name is still associated with the instructor's Gradebook - (In Notes Column Add PN)
- The legal name is still associated with the student Gradebook
Add (Display Name) option to the secondary identifier list in the Instructors Gradebook. I would also include this as an option for the student gradebook. I have attached a screenshot of where that option would be added to in the gradebook.
If this was done the teacher could add a secondary identifier to the student's Name in their gradebook. Also, the student would see both names displayed on their gradebook as well. Then the workaround would accommodate all parties: the legalities and still be inclusive to the student’s identity.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.