[Modules] Prerequisites or requirements for individual items in module

Assume the case where modules are organized by unit content, so there are many assignments and other content items in a given module.

Module X:

• Content Page
  • Assignment A
  • Content Page
  • Assignment B *
  • Assignment C *
  • Assignment D

I would like to be able to create a prerequisite rule that applies to only one or two of the assignments in this module: for example, students must submit assignment B before being allowed to view assignment C.  This rule could be created at the same place where other module rules are created in the UI, and should be able to co-exist with the other available module rules.

Please see this similar past request: * Make a quiz/assignment/discussion a pre-requisite for another quiz/assignment/discussion (in the s...

Added to Theme

21 Comments
mdurler
Community Member

I've been wanting something similar to this ever since we adopted Canvas.  Something similar to adaptive release in Blackboard.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

brigwald
Community Participant

This is a basic feature of Moodle that I greatly miss in Canvas.  My assignments normally have 2 parts (part 1 being a pre-requisite for part 2).  At the end of the week I have a review, in which all of those part 2's must be complete.  Now, I could accomplish this with separate modules for each assignment and then a separate module for the weekly review, but that creates an organizational nightmare and it would be difficult for students to navigate.  The modules page would become unwieldy. 

Whenever someone has requested a feature similar to this or with similar functionality, people interject "Mastery Paths".  Again, Master Paths are rigid and the the solution for something like this.  To be totally honest, I have gotten quite annoyed with that blanket response to those looking to add flexibility and function to Canvas.  Those of us that have used other LMS's such as Moodle, know what a robust LMS experience can be, both from a teacher perspective and a student perspective.  For example:

05. Religions of the Middle East Part 1 Activity

05. Religions of the Middle East Part 1 Follow Up Questions (RESTRICTED until 05. Religions of the Middle East Part 1 Activity is completed 

05. Religions of the Middle East Part 2 Activity

05. Religions of the Middle East Part 2 Follow Up Questions (RESTRICTED until 05. Religions of the Middle East Part 2 Activity is completed 

05. Asma'u Allah Follow Up Questions

Fri:  05. Week 2 Review (RESTRICTED until...

05. Religions of the Middle East Part 1 Follow Up Questions is completed   (Min. Score 7)

05. Religions of the Middle East Part 2 Follow Up Questions is completed  (Min. Score 4)

05. Asma'u Allah Follow Up Questions is completed  (Min. Score 10)

All of these (and others) housed in a single unit.  Right now, as Canvas works, I have to have them all be prerequisites of each other in the same module, meaning students must do each in order, otherwise I would have students doing the weekly review before completing the other work.  (Not the smartest thing to do, but I have middle schoolers and they have tried!)  It makes it difficult when students are gone, because we might be working on Asma'u Allah (for example), but they can't until they do the stuff from being gone.  It is just too rigid without the individual requirements.

kerstin_jarosc1
Community Participant

Yes please! That would be greatly appreciated!

SheleneKA
Community Novice

Any updates on this feature?  It would be REALLY helpful as my students try to get away with skipping ahead (as teenagers will do) and this would be a big help in setting them up for success.

CarolynPeterson
Community Member

I have the same idea, except it goes a little further. I think anything in canvas should be able to have any kind of prerequisite - a video, a file, an embedded video, a page, an assignment, etc and they should be able to have any kind of prereq - for instance, an embedded video should be able to have an assignment as a prereq, an assignment should be able to have a page as a prereq, etc. It should be totally open and customizable in any way, not just module to module. 

Thanks!

ornealbrown
Community Member
This would be such a great addition especially since we are now in an age where so many disciplines and classes are being forced to use tools like Canvas to emulate live class interactions. The effects of Covid-19 makes feature requests, like this Item Level Prerequisites, even more of a priority. I know our faculty would greatly appreciate this functionality being added very soon. 

Thanks so much,
Orneal

ewendland
Community Novice

This would be an incredibly useful tool that would enhance pacing and control of how students move through our class.  It could also be used to release keys or answers to assignments after the students turn them, which would also be very useful.

Steven_S
Community Champion

Although not as specific as applying requirements to individual items within the module, you might also like the idea of assigning prerequisites to sub-set of module activities using headers:  Allow headers within modules to subdivide module requirements and set other headers as prerequisite...

audrey_fizer
Community Novice

I would like to set specific assignments, rather than modules, as prerequisites.

As an example: Students must complete these specific assignments to move to the quiz. Or, students must complete the preassessment before moving to the assessment. 

With "in this order" set ups, students must complete all parts of a module, which aren't necessarily needed. For my class, I have kids complete notes that I would like to mandate they complete before a practice quiz, which I would like to mandate before a formal test. However, in between those, they may have some bellwork or other class activities that would not be necessary to complete.