[Modules] Prerequisites or requirements for individual items in module

Assume the case where modules are organized by unit content, so there are many assignments and other content items in a given module.

Module X:

• Content Page
  • Assignment A
  • Content Page
  • Assignment B *
  • Assignment C *
  • Assignment D

I would like to be able to create a prerequisite rule that applies to only one or two of the assignments in this module: for example, students must submit assignment B before being allowed to view assignment C.  This rule could be created at the same place where other module rules are created in the UI, and should be able to co-exist with the other available module rules.

Please see this similar past request: * Make a quiz/assignment/discussion a pre-requisite for another quiz/assignment/discussion (in the s...

Added to Theme

21 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for your idea submission, and for linking to the other idea!  It provides valuable insight!  Your idea will be open for voting in the February cohort.

I did find one other related idea that you may be interested in

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

barblecheler
Community Novice

We just had a teacher ask for this feature yesterday!  It is a great idea!

worrellj
Community Novice

This would be an awesome feature. I like to set quizzes and other pages that a student can view, but only after they've accessed another page. This would be nice!!

hurnje
Community Explorer

It would also be nice to require 3 of 5 be completed for the module to be complete rather than the 1 of x number of assignments.

casey_zvanut
Community Novice

I'd like to see an individual assignment or quiz be a prerequisite for a module. Currently, you only have the option of completing a module before another opens, but I'd like to have a quiz by itself, then

Module A

Module B

and for example, Module A will open if students make below a certain grade threshold, but if they score above the threshold, module B opens.

In short, I'd like for the prerequisite options to include selecting a single quiz or assignment and designating the "submit" or "score at least" in addition to the requirements within a module.

But I'm voting for this as well! Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi lvm55

Have you explored the current development project, Canvas Studio: Mastery Paths​?

While it may not be developed exactly how you envisioned, I believe think it will accomplish what you seek to achieve.  Please follow the Canvas Studio: Mastery Paths document to receive updates as they come available.

I am going to set this idea aside (in archive) until the new feature is released.  At that point we can re-evaluate and update.  I don't want to place this idea in 'under consideration' or 'in development' right away - in case the project doesn't accomplish what you had in mind!

tdarrow
Community Contributor

Hi Renee,

I took a look at the Mastery Path document you referred to, but it didn't really give a Project Start Date. Is that still to be determined?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@tdarrow , I hope you've seen that Mastery Paths is currently in Beta! Canvas Release: MasteryPaths