[SpeedGrader] Preserve student anonymity in SpeedGrader after posting grades

I'd like to suggest that assignments with the anonymous grading option enabled should continue to hide/anonymize student names in SpeedGrader after posting an assignment's grades. The current behavior is that after posting grades the names become visible and there is no way to hide them again. 

This is a problem for our instructors that grade anonymously. In order to prevent any grading biases from occurring throughout the semester, it would be beneficial to keep student names hidden in SpeedGrader no matter if the grades have been posted or not. 

Our instructor community relies heavily on preserving anonymity throughout the course of the class. Automatically showing student names in SpeedGrader after posting grades makes that impossible to preserve.

Added to Theme

20 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@fidalgok 

Thanks for sharing this idea. My search revealed a long-standing and still-active conversation around this, Anonymous Grading Improvements - Persisting Anonym... - Canvas Community. After reviewing it, do you feel it essentially encompasses what you're hoping to see implemented? If so, we can readily merge this idea into the comments section of that idea, so please let us know. Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

wickerha
Community Member

I second this idea.  Right now, this is the only reason I would stick with TWEN over Canvas in terms of collecting anonymously graded assignments.  Also, it would be helpful if students could type in their own anonymous identifier, such as a pre-assigned 4-digit exam number, rather than have Canvas assign an anonymous number to them.   

brattc
Community Member

I also second this idea.  The lack of anonymity after posting the grades for an assignment largely defeats the purpose of anonymous grading.  Because I have multiple assignments throughout the semester that I grade anonymously, it'd be more authentic to keep the submissions anonymous until the course closes. 

mckaveny
Community Member

I think this is an important idea, especially for classes that depend upon ongoing grading to build up to a cumulative grade.

joan_shear
Community Member

I have also had to make my class use TWEN for graded exercises, even though everything else in my class is on Canvas.   If there is more than one anonymously graded assignment, which there should be for pedagogical purposes, you need to have an option of maintaining anonymity while allowing students to get feedback.

fidalgok
Community Participant

@stefan3 

It looks like you linked to the original post I tried to create that included all of these ideas at once. I think my requests if they were all implemented together would make for a more robust anonymous grading solution in Canvas. If you share the post you thought this would fit in with I'd be happy to take a look and let you know if they can be combined.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@fidalgok  Have you had a chance to review the existing conversation referenced above? As comments continue to come in on this thread it becomes increasingly difficult for our product teams to evaluate use cases in one spot. We can easily merge this one into Anonymous Grading Improvements - Persisting Anonym... - Canvas Community, so please let us know!

fidalgok
Community Participant

@Stef_retired Yes, I've reviewed the link you shared. I was confused because you're linking to the post that I originally created yesterday that you archived. You wanted me to split these ideas into 3 separate posts which I did. Sorry if I'm being dense here. Do you mean that you want to incorporate these ideas back into Anonymous Grading Improvements - Persisting Anonymity? I'm open to whatever gets the ball rolling on these requests as our community finds them very important to maintain academic integrity for anonymous grading purposes.