Prevent final grade submission to SIS if there are assignments that need attention

0 Likes
(1)

This is an idea for the LTI that submits grades to the SIS PeopleSoft.

We have a problem when our faculty don't catch that they have cells in the gradebook that have dashes OR regrading icons. The final grade the student sees in this event will NOT be the grade that gets submitted to our SIS. So if the instructor fails to check all the grades that Canvas submits to the SIS then the student will get a lower than expected grade, causing all sorts unnecessary communication. Yes, I can (and do) send separate emails with instructions directing faculty to fix the dashes and regrading icons in the gradebook before submission but we still have problems that I think we can be proactive in fixing.

I think it might be helpful to challenge the instructor with a confirmation popup window when they try and submit their grades to the SIS ( IF there are dashes or regrading icons ). It could just be a text box having text saying "We noticed that you have some grades that need attention. The submission to the SIS may be different than what your students see. Are you sure you want to continue? Yes / No". 

That sort of challenge would be very useful in preventing accidental submissions to our PeopleSoft environment.

Thank you,

Brian

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

axelsena
Community Contributor
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived