Preview files uploaded as quiz responses when using the file upload quiz response format.

0 Likes

I have assigned questions on a quiz that asks students to upload files as a response format.   When I use SpeedGrader for grading the quizzes, the file is not viewable in the SpeedGrader.  If I click on the student's response (appears in blue) their file is automatically uploaded to my computer, which is not acceptable.  I would like the file to  display as a preview within the SpeedGrader for assessment purposes.  Uploading files from students to my personal or work computer makes me very uncomfortable and I feel that it is not a secure method for assessment responses.  Please make the display of quiz responses function in the same way that assignments display within SpeedGrader.  Thank you 

8 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @EricHerrerayccd,

Which file types are not previewing for you in SpeedGrader? 

Naomi

EricHerrerayccd
Community Member
Author

Jpeg so far, please be aware that this is only happening with quizzes, and not assignment submissions.

Eric

EricHerrerayccd
Community Member
Author

This is also occurring with jpg and pdf files. 

EricHerrerayccd
Community Member
Author

I have revised my quiz to direct students to submit their responses (drawings of molecular Lewis structures) as a file upload to an assignment that accompanies the quiz and I have changed the response format to "text (no question)".  This will work for me and my students have begun navigating it successfully.  

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for providing that info, @EricHerrerayccd! Was your quiz built using the Classic Quizzes tool or New Quizzes? The New Quizzes tool allows you to preview jpg files by clicking the file thumbnail. That functionality isn't available in quizzes created using the Classic Quizzes tool. Since the New Quizzes tool will be replacing the Classic Quizzes tool in the future, we aren't accepting development ideas for Classic Quizzes. 

PDFs uploaded for file upload quiz questions are not currently able to be previewed. However, we have an existing feature idea suggesting allowing docviewer functionality in Speedgrader for PDF files uploaded for file upload questions: New Quizzes: SpeedGrader should open pdfs in DocViewer for New Quizzes. If you'd like to lend your support to the existing idea, you can kudo it and/or comment on it. 

Naomi

valentinescott
Community Member

Agreed. File uploads can be previewed in assignments, but not quizzes. Lame. This is highly inefficient. All file upload quiz questions need to be previewed in speedgrader as opposed to manually downloading each file.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@valentinescott, if you haven't already, consider making that same comment (and/or adding a star rating) on the idea @Naomi linked. Here it is again:

teste_19597849
Community Explorer

It will be very useful for the entire community if it can display the Word files sent by the students in quizzes created using the Classic Quizzes tool, in the same way as the attribution is displayed in the SpeedGrader. It would make the work of our teachers much faster.