Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
kbeimfohr
Community Participant

I completely agree with adding this functionality.  We have many students in our district that have the accommodation written in their IEP that all assessments be given on paper.  This makes it very difficult for the instructor if they use the drop-down feature.  Print Screen does not work in this case.

ajohnson
Community Contributor

May I ask that this request include both quizzes AND test banks? It doesn't make much sense to print a quiz when the questions come from larger test banks as you won't get all the questions.

BTW, my work around is to create an exam that uses the entire test bank, preview it, copy the whole page, paste it into Word.

Community Novice

I was under the impression that this was already possible?  My teacher in BA101 prints the quiz each week for the students to take in class, maybe it is through the business book and not through canvas.

ejackson
Community Champion

This sounds pretty interesting! I just had an instructor this morning ask about printing out one of his question banks in one of his courses. I'm going to try this to see if it works for question banks as well as quizzes. Even if it doesn't, this is still a good resource for our office to use if an instructor needs to print a quiz out of Canvas.

Thanks for the resource!

ccalderon
Community Champion

This is a request we frequently receive, for a variety of purposes such as those listed above. Currently, it can be handled through Respondus, but as many of our instructors are on Macs, this option is not available to them.

pmceachern
Community Novice

This is probably the question I get most often from faculty. They ask, "How do I print out my quiz in a nice format?" When I give them the answer, I get "What, you have to be kidding." I would love to see this feature in Canvas. Having the ability to print out an answer key would be nice as well.

striglej
Community Contributor

I get lots of requests for easier quiz printing. 

SPARROWR
Community Novice

When we were in our legacy LMS (Sakai) this was one of the features that the faculty really enjoyed: while the PDFs from that system were a bit clunky (spacing / formatting wise), it was extremely helpful in the event that a student needed to come in and take a test for accessibility reasons or for makeup purposes. This feature would greatly impact our Disability Student Services office as they administer paper and pencil tests from Sakai to our students on a regular basis--they just print the PDF from the course's Sakai page. Thanks so much for opening this feature to voting!

anakaerts
Community Novice

I think the print feature would be very helpful!  Even the ability to just export to a PDF would be fantastic! Smiley Happy

moellenl
Community Novice

Please make this happen.  We have needed this feature since we have been on Canvas.

Thanks