Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
john_may
Community Novice

?Lisa When I preview my quiz at the top right is Return and three dots Open the dots two items Import Content and Manage items Bank... Under that are three boxes 1)item banks 2) Outcome and 3) Preview. If I hit preview it goes to new screen and just runs nothing happens, So where is the adobe PDF symbol you are referring to?? John May PS is there away to see the examination without the answers listed. Can I see what student would see and print that version???

dorn
Community Novice

The Adobe icon is in my webbrowser. In my quiz I have a Preview box next to the published box.

s

When I preview it I can still see my firefox menu running across the top. In the far right corner is the adobe icon (black and red)

Firefox is configured by my institution, so I'm not sure what your institution allows, that might be why I've got it there. However, I can also go the 3 bars in the upper right hand corner of firefox just to the right of the adobe icon. This gets me to setting and other options, one of which is to print (I can't screen grab that).

If you go this route it automatically prints to a pdf. What else you can do from there I've always done inside adobe acrobat. I'm not sure what other pdf readers will let you do while printing.

Lisa

Lisa A. Dorn PhD

Associate Professor Plant Genetics

Biology Department

University of Wisconsin Oshkosh

Oshkosh, WI 54901

phone: 920 424-3064

fax: 920 424-1101

ccroak
Community Novice

It would be great if we were able to change fonts and sizes for students who need visual accommodations as well

arnold_cassie
Community Participant

I agree that this is needed. Also, we should be able to print quiz results as well. With the old quiz platform we could but with Quizzes: Next you only get the first page of results. We have all of our students go back and correct their test/quiz answers before taking finals to help them prepare. 

tmartin5
Community Member

This is something greatly needed.  Please, add this asap.  Thanks!

dlpucc
Community Novice

I would like to export quiz questions from the test bank to i-clicker (word format) to use as a formative assessment in class.  To pull a sample of questions from each chapter and gage student understanding prior to the test will help me zero in on miss concepts.

jbeyer1
Community Participant

The need for a printed qups is an accessibility issue. End of story. As Picard would say, “Make it happen”.

Everyone should have equal opportunity but by not enabling the functionality to print a quiz, Canvas is effectively discriminating against students that need that accommodation. 

arnold_cassie
Community Participant

HERE HERE! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING!

peterfoxflick
Community Novice

Hey everyone, I just finished writing a chrome extension that will allow you to print a standard quiz from Canvas. I'm still working on adding some more features but let me know if there is anything, in particular, you want to be added. Canvas Quiz Printer - Chrome Web Store 

sarah_donahoe
Community Member

Thank you! Does this mean that it won't work for quizzes.next?

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 5:09 PM peterfoxflick@gmail.com <