Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
peterfoxflick
Community Novice

Correct, it will only work for the standard quizzes, not quizzes.next.

sarah_donahoe
Community Member

Thank you for your kind work. I'm sure that I'll use it!

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 5:19 PM peterfoxflick@gmail.com <

dlpucc
Community Novice

Peter, added extension. It does not work. deanna

warren_goetzel
Community Participant

This request does not appear to address Printing out students' quiz answers.  Is there another request for that specifically or will it be included in this one if it ever happens? We need this functionality to use Gradescope for auto-grading programming/code assessments. Thanks! 

kraimont
Community Participant

In addition to providing options to teachers, this opens the door for teachers to use Canvas when the technology is not available. We are not a 1:1 system and many times teachers have to use the old fashion paper and pencil for assessments. 

langlangcat
Community Contributor

@Peter Flickinger

Peter, looks like the Chrome plug in does not work. 

blangston
Community Participant

There is no possible reason that this feature could not be added. To have to have this many votes and still not be considered is outrageous. Sometimes this program is more trouble than it is worth. 

william_goss
Community Member

Students should be allowed to save a pdf of a Quiz they've taken as well so Teachers that allow for correction to be made and turned in have a ready path. I use a lot of Formula questions in my quizzes and this function in any form should account for the fact that each version printed will use a different version of the formula questions!!!

g_smith1
Community Member

For those who have this as a common request that they get all the time, it sounds like Respondus (Quiz Authoring) would be a good investment. You can also create your questions in a Word file, import it into Respondus, export as a quiz file, and then import it into Canvas. Respondus also allows you to create multiple versions of your paper quiz so you don't have to manually rearrange the order of questions to make different versions of the same exam.

Respondus is a bit better with other LMSs because you can use the Retrieval feature to pull all your quizzes from the LMS and then Publish them directly from Respondus into a course (or multiple courses), but Canvas still allows you to import and export to accomplish the same end result.

sarah_donahoe
Community Member

But we already spent so much money on Canvas. They need to fix this. It's

ridiculous.