Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
jbeyer1
Community Participant

The problem with Canvas is when I export my quiz and then import it into Respondus, the pictures do not come over and some of the questions are not translated correctly. 

When I called tech support about this issue, I was told by the Canvas representative to type up my question in a Word document.  

sultan7rs
Community Novice

Hi all, we recently built a powerful Canvas quiz to PDF converter. You export a quiz from Canvas and upload to the converter and it will generate a high quality printable PDF quiz. It works for all question types and even question groups. You don’t need to install anything as it runs on the browser. It’s compatible on almost all browsers. The PDFs are designed to be easily graded. New Quizzes is not supported at the moment as they can’t be exported from Canvas. It’s just the beginning, we’re adding more awesome stuff. Feel free to leave feedback and suggestions. You can try out the demo at https://edustrap.com 

tami_salz
Community Participant

Hi - Does this print completed quizzes by students with their responses, or only the original test?  If student completed quizzes, what does that workflow look like?

Thanks,

Tami Salz

sultan7rs
Community Novice

Hi Tami,

It prints the original test. 

jbeyer1
Community Participant

So I have to pay another company $7 because Canvas doesn't work? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

cochrande
Community Novice

As a K-12 teacher, it would be VERY beneficial to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF in a friendly format OR print it in a friendly format.  I often send kids to a resource room for accommodations and have to print something out to send.  As teachers we always have to have plan B (a paper copy) but Canvas does not make it print friendly!!

winnie_milner
Community Participant

Having a print copy of a test is a modification for some students at our school. It seems like a deal breaker for some teachers to not have the ability to do this within Canvas. Some don't want to create quizzes in Canvas because they know they would have to do it two times otherwise they would be in breach of the IEP. 

david_schuster
Community Novice

I think this is an important change for the Canvas community.

winnie_milner
Community Participant

You are the best!!!

Winnie Milner

*Warren County Career Center, edtech & instructional coach *

513.932.5677 (5315)

@quirkybookgirl <https://twitter.com/Quirkybookgirl>

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't- you're right."

-Henry Ford

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 9:39 AM david.schuster@mywccc.org <

norman_stulz
Community Member

The ability to Export and print out a usable paper test is important to allow us to accommodate our students with IEP's and 504 plans.  This is also needed for times when the school is having internet problems, or if individual students are having connection issues with the internet.  I cannot use canvas for tests unless I'm able to print them out.  I really hope this can be corrected.