cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

(152)
As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

281 Comments
allison_adams
Surveyor

We give all exams and edit all exams in Canvas. We need to be able to print to PDF or other means to share with accreditation agencies and boards of nursing.

kendra_murphy1
Surveyor

It's critical for many of our teachers to be able to easily and effectively print their quizzes. Having an easy to use button would be a great enhancement. I anticipate that Canvas might not want to do this for Classic Quizzes (since it's on its way out) but building this into 'New Quizzes' would be a perfect addition. 

mreyesp
Surveyor

what is the progress status of this? It's very necessary! 

brookslo
Surveyor II

Pdfs are good, but not necessarily for all question types. I'm in agreement with Curtain's suggestions:

A Print option would:

• format it to break cleanly between questions instead of in the middle
  • include the answer options selections in a way they could be answered on paper so for example drop down boxes would turn into a list to select from
  • would minimize any images, navigation, headers, footers, etc for efficient printing
egoodwin
Surveyor II

For students that have visual impairments that are required to have the text of the quiz increased to at least 40 pt and printed off, there is not a seamless way to do this in Quizzes in Canvas.  A person can increase the screen size of the web browser but when they go to print, the increased size does not stay when printed or saved as a PDF.  They can increase the scale size before printing, but not the whole quiz is printed.  Right now, a workaround is for the teacher to create a separate quiz with a file submission, provide a link to a Word document, the file is printed, completed, scanned or a picture of the Word document is taken, then uploaded to the quiz in Canvas.  You can increase the size of the screen in Attendance and print off the enlarged pictures in the seating chart.  Why can't you print enlarged quizzes for a student with a visual impairment?  

nakin1
Surveyor

I need this feature plus a feature to print/pdf students results. Most accreditations require us to document and provide a sample of student work. Right now the only way to document student work is to use a screen capturing program to take screenshot of student results. 

Michellek
Surveyor

We need to be able to print/export both types of quizzes!  with teh ability to manage page breaks too.

slagelj
Surveyor

We have several teachers asking for a print option for "New Quizzes" in Canvas. They are needing this for students who require accommodations. For example, students who need to have the ability to cross off answers they know are not correct or teachers who need to modify an exam so that rather than having 4 choices the student only has 3 choices in a multiple choice question. Also, teachers often need to read tests/quizzes aloud to students. It is much easier to read from a hard, physical copy of the test versus trying to read over the students shoulder on a computer screen.  Also, some students aren't allowed to have a computer (for violating computer usage agreements or by police order). So, being able to print a copy of the test would make it easier for the teacher to make the test available. PLEASE consider adding this feature!

rsheridan
Surveyor

I was shocked to find out that I can not print a copy from New Quizzes. I have a student who needs printed tests and now I have to type two or use another platform. What is canvas thinking. This conversation started in 2015. I can't believe it wasn't a standard option in the new quizzes. 

audrey_gilden
Surveyor

There should be an option to print the quizzes.  Students have accomodations that allow a paper copy.  When you try to preview and print, the formatting is off.

mrsday
Surveyor

PLEASEEEEEEE🙏🙏🙏

gibsonla
Surveyor

Yes, please.

Daph_P
Surveyor

I would like to print a large quiz so that I can read through it before posting. At this time, there's not an option to do that.

cmeyer42
Surveyor II

This would be extremely helpful especially for meeting accommodations issues for some students!

cmillat
Surveyor
As your platform grows into elementary education, you will find the needs of little people are very different than secondary. Students need to show their work in math when taking math tests. It is easiest for elementary students to show their work on paper next to the problem they are working on. I need to be able to match their written work with the problem to see their error in order to reteach. After they complete their work on paper, they transfer their answers online.  

Elementary students have a hard time tracking when questions and their answers are broken and flow onto the next page. It just creates more errors and lots of questions- Teacher, I can't find the answers. Or they only respond to the two they see. 

In addition, we send home the paper tests for parents to review with their students. In my community, parents demand and expect this for ALL tests given. I have students with IEPs that need an easy to read paper version. I have students with vision issues that cannot be on their computer 100% of the day.

I would hope that Canvas doesn't apply the ideals of online learning to the point of not understanding customer/student needs.

And lastly, this is common practice for other websites our district uses. I am surprised that this is even up for debate with Canvas.
Travis991
Surveyor

do it

mbirdsong
Surveyor

I agree. We have students who experience computer issues, and we need to have the ability to print out assignments for them so they remain current with the lessons.

mcmack
Surveyor II

I agree as well.  We need the ability to print student quizzes to make student accommodations in an elementary setting and to give us the option to share a paper copy with parents if needed. This issue seems to have been requested for years now with it growing to 24 pages of requests.  How about now?

laurenhenderso1
Surveyor

Allow a way to have a quiz that has been created to be turned into a PDF or printable version.  I like to do the questions on paper, and upload a photo of my work so if a student misses it they can see an automatic explanation.

gdulaney
Surveyor II

I think this sounds like a good idea. It would be very helpful.