Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
allison_adams
Community Participant

We give all exams and edit all exams in Canvas. We need to be able to print to PDF or other means to share with accreditation agencies and boards of nursing.

kendra_murphy1
Community Member

It's critical for many of our teachers to be able to easily and effectively print their quizzes. Having an easy to use button would be a great enhancement. I anticipate that Canvas might not want to do this for Classic Quizzes (since it's on its way out) but building this into 'New Quizzes' would be a perfect addition. 

mreyesp
Community Explorer

what is the progress status of this? It's very necessary! 

brookslo
Community Member

Pdfs are good, but not necessarily for all question types. I'm in agreement with Curtain's suggestions:

A Print option would:

• format it to break cleanly between questions instead of in the middle
  • include the answer options selections in a way they could be answered on paper so for example drop down boxes would turn into a list to select from
  • would minimize any images, navigation, headers, footers, etc for efficient printing
egoodwin
Community Participant

For students that have visual impairments that are required to have the text of the quiz increased to at least 40 pt and printed off, there is not a seamless way to do this in Quizzes in Canvas.  A person can increase the screen size of the web browser but when they go to print, the increased size does not stay when printed or saved as a PDF.  They can increase the scale size before printing, but not the whole quiz is printed.  Right now, a workaround is for the teacher to create a separate quiz with a file submission, provide a link to a Word document, the file is printed, completed, scanned or a picture of the Word document is taken, then uploaded to the quiz in Canvas.  You can increase the size of the screen in Attendance and print off the enlarged pictures in the seating chart.  Why can't you print enlarged quizzes for a student with a visual impairment?  

nakin1
Community Member

I need this feature plus a feature to print/pdf students results. Most accreditations require us to document and provide a sample of student work. Right now the only way to document student work is to use a screen capturing program to take screenshot of student results. 

Michellek
Community Explorer

We need to be able to print/export both types of quizzes!  with teh ability to manage page breaks too.

slagelj
Community Member

We have several teachers asking for a print option for "New Quizzes" in Canvas. They are needing this for students who require accommodations. For example, students who need to have the ability to cross off answers they know are not correct or teachers who need to modify an exam so that rather than having 4 choices the student only has 3 choices in a multiple choice question. Also, teachers often need to read tests/quizzes aloud to students. It is much easier to read from a hard, physical copy of the test versus trying to read over the students shoulder on a computer screen.  Also, some students aren't allowed to have a computer (for violating computer usage agreements or by police order). So, being able to print a copy of the test would make it easier for the teacher to make the test available. PLEASE consider adding this feature!

rsheridan
Community Member

I was shocked to find out that I can not print a copy from New Quizzes. I have a student who needs printed tests and now I have to type two or use another platform. What is canvas thinking. This conversation started in 2015. I can't believe it wasn't a standard option in the new quizzes. 

audrey_gilden
Community Member

There should be an option to print the quizzes.  Students have accomodations that allow a paper copy.  When you try to preview and print, the formatting is off.