Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
setopp
Community Novice

Would like for teachers to have a feature that allows them to export documents that are created in canvas:  such as:  test/quizzes.  This feature will be valuable in the event the teacher should need a hard copy.

robson_pitt
Community Member

I agree. Please make it easy for a teacher to print, download and digitally archive quizzes (both before and after students take them).  This is useful for test development and record keeping.

Thank you very much.

wschilling
Community Member

This issue is now going on 6 years old and is an absolutely essential capability to have to use Canvas effectivly for record keeping and assessment purposes.

jarskijc
Community Member

Some students need to have their tests/quizzes taken paper pencil. It would be great if the teachers could create a pdf of their entire quiz and then print it so that this could happen. 

dukej1
Community Member

This an absolute necessity for students with accommodations, students who needs translating, students with WiFi issues but are learning remotely or absences due to medical reasons.

This seems like an easy feature for Canvas to set up.

admin19
Community Explorer

I agree 100% with this and have been asking about it for a few years now! I am glad they are taking it into consideration!

ksigurdson
Community Member

I would like to see this as a feature as well. Some students need the accommodations. Staff who often read the exams to students would like to know the answers to questions in order to offer prompts to students. It looks like this was proposed in 2015 (nearly six years ago), so I am surprised this is not an option yet. 

lglenn
Community Member

Printing would really help me.  I have SPED students who require accommodations like "have less choices on multiple choice" or "remove distractors on multiple choice".  This isn't possible unless I make a totally different test for them.  If it's not a complete nightmare to make this change, I believe that it will greatly benefit those of us who need this feature.

lcullison
Community Novice

I logged on to submit a suggestion to export quizzes and am not surprised to see it is already here, but I am surprised it was raised about six years ago. I have hybrid in person and virtual students. For my in person students, we may not have devices for everyone or there could be some other issue preventing us from using technology. The ability to export quizzes we create in Canvas will allow us to easily transition between "electronic and paper mode." I fully prefer to have students take quizzes in Canvas, but sometimes paper is required. Allowing me to set-up in Canvas directly and export my work will prevent me from also having to create the quiz and then manually entering in Canvas. You could also consider an import feature so that I can submit a quiz already in Word and PDF and Canvas creates the quiz from there. 

Community Member

Yes, please add this option.  This is needed for multiple reasons that other users have detailed already.